Your Deadlock Strategy?

Need advice on Colony Management? Help with the Shrine Wars Campaign? Ask here.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Your Deadlock Strategy?

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Without research I'd be lost. Early on I try to replace defensive laser turrets with energy defenses to ward off attacks. Later I try to use fusion or disruptor canon to attack enemies. If I waited for all enemies to reach all techs, I wonder if I'd still do as well?

For a challenge, I like to limit myself to only having buildings in 3-4 territories and holding off multiple computer opponents. When I take an enemy territory I scrap everything to keep at 3-4 territories with buildings.

What approach do you use to defeat computer opponents?
What would you recommend other people try as a challenge?
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Re: Your Deadlock Strategy?

Post by General9913 »

Yeah, research is a must. I build laser defences at the begging of the game when there are colonies nearby. Usually I prefer to construct fusion cannons and SAM Troopers than defences to defend my territories early on, so it takes a while for me to build energy deflectors. And they gain experience, defence turrets do not. That's the impression I have, but I wonder if there's an experience value for them apart from Targetting Computers technology which improves their accuracy by an unknown value. I wonder if they have 50% accuracy at default "green level" like any other unit and it goes up to 80% with Targetting Computers. :roll:

Back on topic, I like to play defensively, I use scouts to spy to gain experience, steal technology or sabotage buildings with Maug or steal resources if I'm playing with ChCh-t, or even using them for exploration to discover shrines and territories with lost technology (I might as well build one Laser Squad as soon as possible for this either). So yeah, I don't mantain a huge military force until it's really necessary, I like to sit, build my colony and wonder if I'm able to defend myself or my ally, yup I like to ally myself with Maug if I'm playing with ChCh-t and vice versa... Yeah, they are my favorite races :mrgreen:
Kayzaks
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Kayzaks »

Same for me, Research is king.

I mostly play on big maps and colonize as much land around my starting tile as possible. But I barely build there, only farms and cheap stuff, while I keep my capital full of all the good buildings.

Then I start stationing units at the far edge and build some cheap defences.

Once the enemy starts attacking, I try to keep them away from my main base as long as I can and start building superior units to finally crush the enemy
Cyth Lord
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Cyth Lord »

In Deadlock II my first action is to start researching techs and go immediately for cloning. Once I've a stream of colonists coming in I let tech fall to the back burner until I've got 3 or 4 fully developed territories. By the time I'm researching lvl 3 techs, I expand my universities so I can get one tech per turn. When I finally get Anti-matter rifles, that's when I transition from colony building to conquest. I sometimes go for a strong air force instead, but that becomes very expensive and they don't conquer territories on their own. Also try to get sea platforms built up for huge trade income. Then I go for swarm tactics with my units... 12 or more troopers/tanks supported by medic and command corps against a single territory almost always win with minimal attrition. I imagine most use this tactic, but not the computer so much!
Firetron
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by Firetron »

I might be the only person who always greatly delays research. But, I always win so maybe I'm on to something.

The key to winning the game is population growth. Start on plains that are next to swamp or forest. Build up housing as the top priority. Do just enough farming to keep everyone fed. Expand to at least 3 territories. Ideally you want 1 plains, 1 forest, 1 swamp. If you can get more than 3 (larger map) go for more plains. Ignore mountains. You get more metals from forests because of endurium. Build culture centers and museums just before overpopulation hurts morale. If you have a neighbor, gradually build up to 4 laser forts in each border territory. Raise taxes after museums are done. As soon as you can afford it (750), buy Electronics tech and 30 electronics. Then start building a spy every turn. Have one spy per territory to patrol for enemy spies. Send the rest out spying. Explore the whole map with the spies so you know how the competition is doing. As each spy gains elite status, change them to steal tech mission. By now, your economy is doing way better than everyone else's because they were focused on tech while you were building up your economy. Upgrade your buildings as tech comes in from your spies. Don't spy on the Uva Mosk until you have a lot of extra spies. They are too good at catching elite spies. After you have upgraded all your buildings and are ready to go on the offensive, start building tech centers. At this point, you should be able to put down 5 all at once, and have the people needed to work them, and be able to place all the power plants they need too, pretty much all in one turn. This turn is the "turning point" in the game, where you stop "looking" weak and use your superior economy to rapidly research and build military. Go for starflare bombers and disrupter cannons. As soon as you have both, produce as many of each as you can each turn. Attack every time you run out of room in your territories for them. Each territory you conquer, shut down the energy consuming ones, and send a few population to hold it. Keep attacking relentlessly and the mop up phase goes pretty fast. If the map is too large and the mop up taking too long, build a bunch of endurium mines and build the number of city centers needed to win the city center victory.

Oh, and, if you are not Human, then you'll have to build some factories or shipyards early on so you don't run out of money.