Which race is your favourite?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.

Which race is your favourite?

ChCh't
17%
Cyth
17%
Humans
17%
Maug
24%
Re'Lu
7%
Tarth
7%
Uva Mosk
10%
Skirineen
No votes
Tolnans
No votes
The Ancients
No votes

Total votes: 29

Sirre
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Re: Which race is your favourite?

Post by Sirre »

Easily ChCh't for me. :)
I almost always played them when I played the demo, that was the easiest way for me to beat the demo under 40 turns thanks to their fast growth. Second choice would be Re'lu, I find their intel quite valuable, and the mind control is quite nice. :)
SupremeCommander
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by SupremeCommander »

I like them creds 'n cheap transportation
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

I would have to say the strongest is the ChCh't, their population bonus allows them to do more of everything, even out tech other races. Their two negatives: slower research and lower taxes can be easily overcome.

The Maug are probably the second strongest, you just have to manage their morale a little more, but their tech and spy abilities are awesome.

The Cyth are the easiest to play, but you lose 20% of your workforce and they pay a 75% tax rate. The only good thing about the morale bonus is that you don't need food/museums, but these things aren't to difficult to manage. They don't starv to death, but I believe they grow population slower and it takes longer to get set up with them

My favorite is still the Re'Lu, I just like them. I almost won a game before just using their subvert special order.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Since I didn't like their economy and military, I didn't give the Chch't much of a chance. I'll have to give them another try.

Despite my name, I think Uva Mosk are my favorite to play. Their bonus resources and ability to make bonus squares is really useful, especially when I play a game where I limit myself to 3 territories (to make it challenging for me to beat the AI).

But I enjoy the Maug personality more than the others, the way they complain their way through every activity is amusing! If research could be "carried over" from one project to another, Maug would be more powerful early on. Later, their research bonus becomes powerful against lower tech enemies.

I'd have to say Humans are a strong second owing to higher income, and the ability to bring transport costs to zero.

For some reason I don't enjoy Tarth or Relu. At least with Cyth, I know why I don't like them: I hate giving up 20% of my workers to their stable morale.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor

Post by sdu754 »

MaugTheInfirm wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 am For some reason I don't enjoy Tarth or Relu. At least with Cyth, I know why I don't like them: I hate giving up 20% of my workers to their stable morale.
I don't like the Tarth because the military bonuses aren't that great. Stronger units can be easily overcome with technologically better units or superior numbers.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

There's one exception to the Tarth military bonsues: they work great against the Ch'cht military disadvantages. I'm playing the Ch'cht campaign of Deadlock II now, and the Tarth are tough. I recall staring in disbelief as 2 fusion canons pounded a Tarth laser tower, and only brought it down when a 3rd fusion canon joined in. So when playing the Ch'Cht, I'll send in twice as much military force as a Tarth defender - and I usually take heavy losses anyways. So there's one high point for the Tarth: fighting against Ch'cht.

I still favor Ch'cht over Tarth, though: the faster population growth and more population/building makes new territories grow much faster.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor

Post by sdu754 »

MaugTheInfirm wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 pm There's one exception to the Tarth military bonsues: they work great against the Ch'cht military disadvantages. I'm playing the Ch'cht campaign of Deadlock II now, and the Tarth are tough. I recall staring in disbelief as 2 fusion canons pounded a Tarth laser tower, and only brought it down when a 3rd fusion canon joined in. So when playing the Ch'Cht, I'll send in twice as much military force as a Tarth defender - and I usually take heavy losses anyways. So there's one high point for the Tarth: fighting against Ch'cht.

I still favor Ch'cht over Tarth, though: the faster population growth and more population/building makes new territories grow much faster.
The ChCh't can outgrow, out produce and out tech the tarth. I'd take the ChCh't against the Tarth any day.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Well, I guess I should add some other point of view.
sdu754 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 am The ChCh't can outgrow, out produce and out tech the tarth. I'd take the ChCh't against the Tarth any day.
That's exactly the point, but think on Tarth's perspective and you have a different strategy.

Here is my analysis of Tarth vs ChCh't.

If you are Tarth against ChCh't, your best bet is to rush them before they can outgrow you or out-tech you.
With military bonuses, you can simply build the same number of units they have and then attack. With any non-tarth, you would probably want to have much more units.

Tarth have a huge food bonus, so you can have less working on farms and more working on factories.

ChCh't grow fast, but they don't have food bonus. This means you would keep several working on food (or stealing?), because more colonists also eat more. If the ChCh't don't have any plains territory, they could run into a hunger trouble (and then you would regret not chosing Cyth?).

Since ChCh't grow fast and build fast, the best for them is to have large worlds so they can spread the colony faster in a quantitative manner.
So even if someone takes one territory, they still have several others.

ChCh't also have a small tech disadvantage, but this is not a big issue because of their growth. Still, they would probably spend more building more universities, leaving less resources to build military units and defenses in the beginning, leaving them poorly defended by then.

Tarth have weak ships, which makes water worlds complicated. Also, water slows down the military units from attacking far away.

The bottomline: In a small world with no or almost no water, Tarth has a huge advantage, because they can rush before any other can build up.
In a large world, ChCh't has a huge advantage if they are far from Tarth. They can spread more and even build city centers before someone is able to take them down.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

I find the ChCh't's tech penalty a massive pain. The lower level techs take too long to research, as it is not necessarily possible to have multiple labs running to research each of the first and second level techs in one turn.

I also like to have five Collective Tech Labs running at full production, so it is possible to burn through the 1000 point techs in one turn and the 2000 and 5000 point techs quickly. With the ChCh't it takes seven Collective Tech Labs to generate 1000RP a turn. This greatly slows down the time it takes to get through the tech tree, which can spell defeat.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor

Post by sdu754 »

The ChCh't grow so fast population wise, that such a rush strategy would be hard to incorporate. Remember ChCh't need less housing and don't get the overcrowding penalty that others do. Unless you are attacking with equal units, the Tarth military advantage is useless. The more food really doesn't matter that much because you will be swimming in extra food in no time. The Cyth no food advantage is good, but the morale penalty isn't worth it. In a situation where you could severely limit the ChCh't from expanding, then the Tarth could be better, but that would be an extremely rare situation.

Ubergeneral - the tech disadvantage isn't an issue, you can grow pop so quickly that you can place a bunch of labs in a swamp with some power plants and a factory to produce the money to import the food. I can easily out tech any race, except for maybe the Maug, with the ChCh't.
Last edited by sdu754 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.