What are the differences between DL1 & DL2?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
Emala XI
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Maug

What are the differences between DL1 & DL2?

Post by Emala XI »

I have DL2 and am thinking of getting DL1. I notice in the forums that a number of players think DL1 is superior. Why is this? What are the differences between the two versions that make some players prefer DL1?

thanks
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: What are the differences between DL1 & DL2?

Post by Tggtt »

My opinion:
I believe it's because DL2 has messed with some good qualities of DL1:
1- DL2 has fixed resolution while DL1 can run at high resolutions (probably the biggest point);
2- The advisors were more polite in DL1, while they are sometimes very annoying in DL2;
3- Videos look more smooth in DL1, they keep moving smoothly, in DL2 they are more like short cut scenes;
4- You can issue a build order in DL1 even if you have too few resources, and they are stockpiled during the end turn (important when using cycle unit list)
5- DL2 has changed a few research projects;
6- In DL1 you have more control when distributing the workforce;
7- DL1 Buildings can produce very slowly when there is no population working on it
8- The black market seems much more dark and secret than in the DL2, but it has mostly the same game result;
9- DL1 has different winning videos for each race;
10- DL1 has actual music (however I don't really like it but it's not bad), in DL2 music is mostly noises;
11- In DL1 sounds reflect the changes of the settlement, however, DL1 for windows has low bitrate sound.
12 - DL1 doesn't run glitchy when windowed;

DL2 advantages:
1- In DL1 attacks usually come from the west, DL2 attacks come from the side you are moving into the settlement;
2- DL2 has official alliance support;
3- In DL2 the AI can sell you something, it never does in DL1, they can buy, only other non-ai players can sell something to you;
4- DL2 has campaign, all games in DL1 start from the same unit counts and research counts (unless modifiers are set);
5- DL2 uses DirectPlay for multiplayer, while DL1 uses netbios. Netbios is not supported in newer windows and won't work as expected. However, directplay may not work sometimes as well;
6- DL2 makes it easier to load a saved multiplayer game; DL1 has this feature as well, but it's a bit cumbersome;
7- DL2 has settlement advisor;
8- DL2 makes it easier to get back to end turn messages;
9- In DL2, multiple factories, multiple airports and multiple shipyards have the same queue/list. It's easier to control and add more workforce.

Possibly more to come. Feel free to append to my list.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

Tggtt has a very objective opinion, but his point of view is more set on the technical features of the software, as you can see from the points he lists, and with which i certainly agree!
Myself, whose these technical aspects are a bit obscure, prefer to focus on gameplay aspects.
First, let me argue on workers management interface: imho is much better in Dl2 overall (colony worker's manager, keyboard shortcut, drag on map...) at least, when i was playing Dl1 i felt uncomfortable with it.
Then, as far as i can remember, Dl1 has a maximum number of military units per settlement, which makes it..hmm...set piece.
Another point for Dl2 are some new technologies and ships, other than the sea platform feature, which make sea element more involved into game

it's just matter of taste. after all, multiplayer doesn't need cinematics (well for me it mostly freezes after a game ends naturally) and annoying message from the AI
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

They are two totally different games. The controls for Deadlock 2 are very clunky. The graphics look like something out of the original Nintendo from the mid 1980s, Deadlock 1 looks good even compared to games from the 2000s. You also can not allocate workers individually to buildings in Deadlock 2 like you can in Deadlock 1. Deadlock 2 just seems like a much less advanced, much less user friendly version.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

The controls for Deadlock 2 are very clunky
what do you mean? i find it not...it is about using the interface (which is not perfect at all, that i agree)
most of the time i hear complains about over-clicking and open popup windows.

imho is because these are dl1 users who can't get used to the interface. i remember having a similar itch when i shifted from dl1 to dl2.
but here, some tips:

* just use alt+drag to bulk-move colonists between buildings or tasks of a building
* double click or right click on a building to open tasks window
* if you drag colonists on a building with multiple tasks available, there will be a default priority of distribution of workforce. if you don't want it, deactivate the unwanted task in the building (turn the green switch of the task to red) and drag on the building: the workforce will go in the only open task you left
* you can turn buildings off and on
*the colony manager helps you allocate workers. it is not super precise but it helps saving a lot of clicks