Artillery disappearing

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
vspartan5
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Artillery disappearing

Post by vspartan5 »

Hello all,

I was wondering if this was a game mechanic or glitch in Deadlock 1. When I attack with more than two artillery units and win, the game invariably leaves me with two units, despite having more survive battles.

On a technical note, I purchased the game through steam, but the stock game doesn't work so I had to create an .iso of the game files and run it standalone. Could this be the reason this is occurring?

Thanks.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Re: Artillery disappearing

Post by TimeDilation »

hello,
i think it's because in deadlock 1 there is a unit stack limit per territory, so the game deletes every unit not allowed to that territory.

meh... i think this is a great limitation of deadlock 1.
don't want to push it but...deadlock 2 solved this. also, the troops enter the territory from the actual direction they are coming.
if you think about it, when deadlock 1 doesn't do it, its very odd:
i can attack with a limited amount of units (because when you are playing vs a human player, you ALWAYS need backup military: you dont want to throw them all to conquer that settlement, knowing they will be deleted after combat...) AND the troops will always enter the same side of the territory. sometimes, but randomly, like 20% of chances, troops will enter the other way.

this means that defending is ridiculously simple: just put bunches of defences on THAT side. done.

sssssooooo from the depth of my heart i advise you to switch to deadlock 2. is just more flexible, more strategies are possible. there are more units. there is diplomacy. of course i can understand that aficionados of some specific building or technology you can't find in deadlock2, or lovers of the "non-arrayed" tech tree (in deadlock 1 you can research something that in deadlock 2 must be subsequent to other techs) may stick to deadlock1.
vspartan5
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by vspartan5 »

Indeed, what you have said is correct. Is there any way to make it so Deadlock 2 has the visuals of Deadlock 1? Surprisingly Deadlock 1 has aged well; I cannot say the same for Deadlock 2, at least for now.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Hello vspartan5,

Sorry but the graphics subsystems of Deadlock 1 and Deadlock 2 are very different. Then you cannot simply adapt one version to behave like another one.
I still hope you try both and identify advantages each one has for the best experience.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

There is a stacking limit in deadlock 1, but it isn't very difficult to deal with. It is 2 Artillery 4 infantry and 3 Air units. You can not go over 3 sea or 4 warheads either.

Deadlock 2 is no where near the game that Deadlock 1 is. I played it twice, the controls are cluncky and the graphics are terrible. I could never even get through a whole game.