Deadlock - Official 20th Anniversary Topic

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Deadlock - Official 20th Anniversary Topic

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Twenty years ago today (August 14), Deadlock: Planetary Conquest was unleashed upon the world (according to GOG at least). Yes, it is extremely hard to fathom that two whole decades have elapsed since August 14, 1996. We have spent fifteen to twenty times longer playing the game than the original design team spent working on it (I’m guessing a little bit, but I imagine it would be about that).

To mark the occasion I have created this topic. Share your thoughts on twenty years, whether it be your fondest memories of Deadlock or any comments you would like to make about the game on this particular day.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Deadlock - Official 20th Anniversary Topic

Post by Tggtt »

I guess I am happy enough to congratulate the developers. I hope they are still around.

I believe that Deadlock is a milestone on game design. Before Deadlock, only a few RPGs could succeed by being so complex and yet well balanced.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tggtt wrote:Before Deadlock, only a few RPGs could succeed by being so complex and yet well balanced.
And at the same time be playable in a lunch break, unlike most strategy games.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Ancients

Post by Darsnan »

Previous to Deadlock I had been playing a computer game called Empire Deluxe, which was just a world conquest game without any theme or character to it. When I first booted up Deadlock and I started getting harassed by the other leaders, or thumbing thru Oolan's Help Guide - I can't tell you how thrilled I was at how much character and depth the game had, and I was hooked!
To this day I still consider Deadlock to be the second best Planetary Sci-Fi TBS game out there, behind only SMACX: the devs did so much right in this game, and should be congratulated on making such a classic of the genre! :b:

Happy Anniversary Deadlock!

D
You'll be back...... I guarrantee it!
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Ancients

Post by Darsnan »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote: And at the same time be playable in a lunch break, unlike most strategy games.
Streamlining done right - a lot of today's computer game companies could learn a thing or two from Deadlock!
You'll be back...... I guarrantee it!
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I found Deadlock in a bargain bin for $10 and enjoyed the character of the manuals and back story enough to get my $10 worth.

My typical Deadlock game featured me in 3 territories at the corner of a map, with all AIs against me to keep it interesting. Only then would I get enough attacks and sabotage to make coming back to win a victory I cherished. Most games let you stomp on nearby enemies and keep going - but Deadlock's per territory limit on units meant you couldn't keep the large army you needed to break through. I like that dynamic, and the characters in the game kept it interesting.

After playing the game so many years... just last week I learned the Cyth don't need food (try it - their mood can't change!). So here's to a game I still play, and still learn something new to after more than a decade of playing.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

MaugTheInfirm wrote:I found Deadlock in a bargain bin for $10 and enjoyed the character of the manuals and back story enough to get my $10 worth.

My typical Deadlock game featured me in 3 territories at the corner of a map, with all AIs against me to keep it interesting. Only then would I get enough attacks and sabotage to make coming back to win a victory I cherished. Most games let you stomp on nearby enemies and keep going - but Deadlock's per territory limit on units meant you couldn't keep the large army you needed to break through. I like that dynamic, and the characters in the game kept it interesting.

After playing the game so many years... just last week I learned the Cyth don't need food (try it - their mood can't change!). So here's to a game I still play, and still learn something new to after more than a decade of playing.
I always figured that if your people were "starving" that they would die off. I learned about a year or two ago the Cyth don't need any food, which somewhat negates their 80% workforce participation rate. You still need a farm for wood production. I still think they are the least powerful race while being the easiest to play.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

I still think the original Deadlock is one of the best designed games ever. The only strategy game that I would say is on equal footing with it is Galactic Civilizations II. The game still looks relatively good today graphically, the races, for the most part are well balanced. I really didn't care much for Deadlock II, but I am surprised someone hasn't dusted the original off for a remake.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

sdu754 wrote:I still think they are the least powerful race while being the easiest to play.
Agreed, out of all the races I think they are also the least fun to play, given that you don't have to worry about certain things as much, if at all. I generally play as the Humans or Re'Lu these days, occasionally as the Maug or Tarth and rarely as the ChCh't (I just hate having slow research) and the Uva Mosk (their low tax income is painful). I cannot remember the last time I played as the Cyth.
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Tomgrakk »

Here's to twenty years of one of the best turn-based strategy games ever made!

Now let's all hope for twenty more!