Windows Xp - dual core processor

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
General9913
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Maug

Windows Xp - dual core processor

Post by General9913 »

I have the two games here, I'm wondering which one should I install. Deadlock 1 has a better interface and better characters animation. On the other hand, Deadlock 2 has diplomacy, more units and more buildings. Graphics are bout the same, but some characters from Deadlock 1 look better. I think I gonna install D2, last patch is v1.20, right? Is There any trouble to run the game at Windows XP 32 bits and a dual core processor? Last time I played this game was on a single core one running the same windows version. No problem that I can remember of.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Windows Xp - dual core processor

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

If you can get it working, i'd go with Deadlock I. The only reason i'd choose Deadlock II is for the superior AI, I can live without the new features. The graphics in Deadlock I are better and you can run it in up to 1920x1080 (full HD, not upscaled), Deadlock II runs at 640x480 only.

Chances are you will never use most of Deadlock II's new features that much, I never do anyway. Still Deadlock II is okay if that is all you can run, since it has the advantage of been able to run on all modern version of Windows (including 7 64-bit). Deadlock I has issues on anything above Windows 98SE, on XP it has sound issues. If you decide to run Deadlock I, remember to install the 1.31 patch, version 1.2 (the version installed by the CD) doesn't work that well, even on Windows 95.

EDIT: Deadlock I at 1920x1080 does have a few graphical issues, but it does work quite well otherwise.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Superior AI? Sorry I haven't played Deadlock 2 that much.

I don't know if resolution stuff would bother me that much. I will gonna install the game at a laptop. Max resolution is 1280x800. I never really runned this game at a bigger screen. Other computer, now r.i.p... motherboard fried.... dang... well, had a LCD '17 monitor, max resolution is 1280x1024. Thing is still here after all these years, 6 years.

I found the cd here, gonna install Deadlock 2, last patch for this game is v1.20, right? If the game acts strange here I might try the processor affinity stuff, (it worked with Sim City 4, game sometimes crashs for no reason, now looks like its okay) or try other metods.

If the game supports it, I could try to set some commands at the shortcut executable.

Thanks !
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grand Cherokee wrote:I found the cd here, gonna install Deadlock 2, last patch for this game is v1.20, right? If the game acts strange here I might try the processor affinity stuff, (it worked with Sim City 4, game sometimes crashs for no reason, now looks like its okay) or try other metods.
The 1.20 patch is the last patch, yes.
Grand Cherokee wrote:If the game supports it, I could try to set some commands at the shortcut executable.
Good luck.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

So, D2 played well. But I must not alt tab while playing or the thing might crash and glitch textures at them main menu.

Other that, yeah I remember that textures at Deadlock 1 were far better, mostly because the higher resolution. But it didn't affect things much here. It ain't so ugly at a 1280x800 resolution.

And, only command that worked, is addind "-w" at the shortcut executable. The game plays at widescreen, but it mess with graphics textures. Maybe its worth a try to do this trick at D1. You can alt tab with other programs without a problem.

How this improved AI works? Is it much better than D1's AI?

Thanks !
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grand Cherokee wrote:How this improved AI works? Is it much better than D1's AI?
I have found the new AI in Deadlock II to be much better than Deadlock I, it just seems to be much smarter. I am normally okay playing DL1 at 95% or 100% difficulty. In Deadlock II, I have a hard time playing at anything above Fair Fight. The new AI seems to do well wiping you out in a few turns (but that might have something to do with no stacking limits, too).
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Hi there.

I installed Deadlock 1 here, but unfortunately the game locks up after some time. I patched to version 1.31, tried to run the game in compatibility mode Windows 95 and 98 to no avail.

So I had to unninstal it and run a reg cleaner for good measure.

What a game. Damn fine music, the intro music gets you into the atmosphere of universe exploring, mystery. Really better graphics than D2. Why they decided to make D2 a separate game, it would be a perfect expansion pack to a perfect game.

At first I guessed that the cd is messed up, it got a lot of scratchs (wonder how this happened, it was on the box all this time, should have extracted the iso, only did this to D2), still the game installed al right. But when I attempt to run te game without the cd, it prompts me to run it as a demo, so okay lets try it out, but after some time it locks up the game again. If it were a problem with the cd it would happen with it, right?

New stuff, such as software installation programs, cds and games, advise when things are wrong, like a problem trying to install a file, CRC error. It might be a problem with the cd itself or the disk drive, usually it is the first one.

My question is, since Deadlock is an ol' game, do you think it does not warn when cd files are broken? I think it does not compare file integrity.

Thanks !
Robdog
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Post by Robdog »

Refer to my post in the other thread. I have a legal ISO of the game (which I can probably organise to get you a copy of), and you can source them from torrent sites anyway. No problem doing this as long as you are the legal owner of the disc in the first place.