New member here!

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Tarth

New member here!

Post by zombipuppy »

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found this community! I'm posting on the technical board because like some others have posted, I'm having lockup issues with the game. I have the original disc, and installed it on Windows XP Mode through Windows 7. I run it in compatibility mode with Windows 98, but the game locks up at random times.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member here!

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Welcome to the forum zombipuppy,

Have you patched the game to 1.31? The original version, 1.2, doesn't work very well, even under Windows 95! If you are running 1.31, I am not quite sure what can be done, except saving often.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by zombipuppy »

Wow, pardon my MAJOR delay in response! I still have lockup issues. Gonna try running Windows 98 SE instead of XP in compatibility mode on VirtualBox. Hopefully that should solve the issues.

Update: Still having issues with Windows 98 running on VirtualBox and VMWare. Using the method in this section to get it to run in Windows 8 also has freezing issues. I'm going to try Windows 95 as a final resort. I remember this working for me back a few years ago. Hopefully I can find my old Windows 95 disc again.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Have you tried running the game in a 4:3 (such as 1024x768) or 5:4 (such as 1280x1024) resolution? Under Windows 7 and 8, widescreen resolutions can crash the game, possibly under Windows 98, too.

I've never had any trouble running Deadlock under Windows 98SE in VirtualBox, so I can't think of any reason why you should be. What issues are you having exactly?
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...