Installing on Vista 64bit

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
donpost
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Installing on Vista 64bit

Post by donpost »

Hi all, haven't played this game in YEARS! My CD is long gone, but I managed to find a copy of the ISO online.

The problem is that I cannot install the game. I can copy the "install" folder from the CD to my desktop and run it from there ok, but there are no campaign missions, and the patch doesn't recognise the game as installed so I can't update it.

What happens when I try to install is the setup file doens't want to run. I'll click on it and a spinning CD icon will appear, then nothing. I've tried all combinations of compatability mode to no avail. The same problem occurs with the Deadlock 2 demo installer.

Anyone come across this and solved it? I suppose as a workaround I could install the game on a another PC, patch it, then copy the folder back onto my machine - but I was hoping there was an easier way!

PS - great website, I look forward to seeing the other sections added :P
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Installing on Vista 64bit

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

If the game gives you a "Can't find Autosave.cpn" error or whatever the file's called, when starting the campaign, created a folder in Deadlock II's directory called "Campaign" and create a Blank Text file called Autosave.cpn or whatever the missing file is called. Make sure that the file doesn't have a .txt extension. That should get campaigns working.

I'll look into the issue with the patch.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
donpost
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by donpost »

That worked a treat! Thanks so much! :mrgreen:

One other minor issue, and it might be just me, but the text on 90% of the pages of the pdf manual on the cd is invisible. You can highlight it, and get Adobe Reader to read it to you, but you can't see it. I'm working on fixing that one myself, if I do I'll post a fixed manual up here.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I've had issues with the manual, too. I can't think of what could be the issue, either.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
donpost
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by donpost »

I have fixed the pdf, don't ask me how :lol:

I've got no-where to host it though, any ideas? Maybe I could email it you and you can stick it on the site if it's an issue for everyone.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure, just go to my profile, by clicking on my name Ubergeneral Grunt and click Email Ubergeneral Grunt.
Bluesguy1
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Re: Deadlock on Which Platform or OS

Post by Bluesguy1 »

I play on Windows, but upgraded the 'puter today and found Deadlock wouldn't run in 64 bit. (Yes, it was the first program I tried to load. Man am I geek for this game.)

Any tips for (a) getting it to work; (b) getting a copy of Deadlock II [I didn't know there was one till today] that will work in 64 bit?
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Bluesguy1, I just moved your post here, so I could answer your question without getting too off topic.

I believe Deadlock's installer is 16-bit, so it would run under Windows 3.1 and be able to install Win32s (support for 32-bit applications), on machines that didn't already have them. This is where the issue with the installer arises. You can get around the installer, by installing the game on another machine and copying it over. I can get the game to launch under Windows 7, but it always crashes at startup, even with the compatibility modes. I hear it works under XP mode or a virtual machine running Windows 95/98.

I haven't had any issues with Deadlock II, under 64-bit. Just copy the "Install" folder on the CD to your Hard Drive and open Deadlock II's executable. It should work fine. Any copy of Deadlock II should work fine under 64-bit. If you are unsure, just try the demo first.

Running Deadlock under a virtualised Windows 95/98, is probably your best bet. Since music won't work with anything above 98SE. If you can find and run the Mac version that's even better, it has higher quality sound and music!
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Tomgrakk »

I think I heard about some sort of exploit for running the game properly, like changing the filename in the properties or something. I'm not sure though, your problem seems new to me.

One question I do have is running Deadlock (preferably #2) on Windows 7, because I've been having a few troubles loading it up, along with a few other old games like Exile or Warcraft. Maybe it's because those games, including Deadlock, are just too old and 7 is too modern, which is probably likely. If anyone has suggestions, that would be welcome. It would be nice to be able to play the game again.

- Tomgrakk
Robdog
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Post by Robdog »

Hey Guys -
Just yesterday I tried installing on Win7 x86. The install went perfectly and I could even play. The problem arose a little later in the game when I zoomed into a territory - the mouse pointer changed to the 'thinking' icon for a couple seconds, then the game crashed. I reopened each time and it eventually worked. Today the problem arose again so I came here looking for answers and tried XP SP2 compatibility mode - no dice. Then tried WIN98/2000 compatibility and it's working perfectly so far (touch wood), even the sound :o