Deadlock 1 GOG MP Patch

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Deadlock 1 GOG MP Patch

Post by Tggtt »

Disclaimer: No Warranty. Use at your own risk.

Since you have been asking for it, I have been trying to create a patch for the Deadlock 1 GOG version that allows multiplayer games.
This is my best result so far, unfortunately it's lacking background sound and music, I still do not know how to solve it without resulting on a very unstable version (that crashes before someone is able to play).
I have created it about two months ago, I was only considering posting it after I fixed the sound issue, but I couldn't yet, then I posted it as is. The audio from videos work. [EDIT] Compatibility mode can fix the sound issue. See updates below.

The patch file is attached, you need BSPATCH to apply it to DEADLOCK.EXE.

How to apply:
Get yourself bspatch (usually comes with bsdiff).
Windows version links:
https://www.pokorra.de/coding/bsdiff.html (Compiled with GCC 3, for old Windows 32-bit versions)
https://github.com/cnSchwarzer/bsdiff-win/ (Compiled with VC 2015, requires recent Windows versions)
http://sites.inka.de/tesla/download/bsdiff4.3-win32.zip (Old link)

Run bspatch using cmd or other console/terminal tool like this:

Code: Select all

bspatch deadlock.exe deadlockpatched.exe  deadlockmppatchfor20011.zip
Hint: extract bspatch.exe from the Windows version zip to Deadlock's folder then run a cmd.exe at that path.

Then run deadlockpatched.exe when you want to play with MP enabled. Please post here if it works.
It should work with other computers running the same patched version and with Deadlock 1.31 (CD version with update).

Side notes:
GOG disabled multiplayer because it cannot be run on Windows Vista or 7, the latest windows that should run it natively is Windows XP 32 bit. I have tested it on Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 2000 successfully.
It might work on other windows when using modem or serial connections.

[UPDATES for Newer Windows]
Sound/music problem:
Zirind wrote: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pmif you run it in compatibility mode for Win 95 or Win 98, it restores the music and allows you to zoom into territories
Crashing on "newer-than-XP/7" Win64 Versions:
MildewMan1 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:19 pmI was able to make a fake WinG dll that can be placed into the deadlock folder, and deadlock will load it instead of the real WinG dll. It uses the equivalent gdi32 code when the game calls it.
MildewMan1's "HOW TO: Fix issues with crashing and freezing"
[edit] Added new links for bsdiff for Windows.

I have asked them if they would help me on this patch or release a non-supported version and they said it's against their rules. Still I thank their time for answering me.
Attachments
deadlockmppatchfor20011.zip
File Patch for Deadlock 1 GOG version 2.0.11.
Unlocks Multiplayer.
Not a real zip, renamed for the forum, you need bspatch to apply.
(420 Bytes) Downloaded 993 times
Zirind
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Deadlock 1 GOG MP Patch

Post by Zirind »

Hey, this is causing the game to crash for me every time I try to zoom into a territory. I'm on Windows 7, I was trying to experiment with this IPX Wrapper.

Edit: After some tinkering, I've found that whenever closing the game with this patch, it opens again immediately. Be it crash or on purpose. But only once. Also, if you run it in compatibility mode for Win 95 or Win 98, it restores the music and allows you to zoom into territories, but there's a big patch at the top of each territory that is black for some reason.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Thank you very much for your feedback Zirind, specially about the sound, I didn't know that.

However I am not sure if I will be able to fix it for Windows 7 at all :(
The guys from GoG have removed the feature because it seems to crash on Windows 7, which is probably what you have experienced...

Fortunately, you can still run it using a virtual machine with Windows XP or 2000. TCP connection also works on these OSes, so IPX is not even necessary.
Zirind
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Zirind »

I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the quick response.
kaine82
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by kaine82 »

I was directed here from this link:
https://github.com/MildewMan1/Deadlock_Multiplayer

I did as instructed in the link in the read me.

I moved all the files from the repo, then ran the cmd on the directory.

I am not familiar with bspatch. Do I need the zip file in the command?

This is the response after running the command:

fopen(deadlockmppatchfor20011.zip)
kaine82
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by kaine82 »

Thank you for the DM Tggtt! I was unable to PM you back due to lack of posts, but I am very greatful for you sending me the correct files.

I am a C# developer and would be willing to help where I can in the process of finishing the updated version you mentioned. PM me your information if you are interested in help.

One question about this fix, it does work on windows 11 correct?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

No problem, and you are welcome!
kaine82 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:59 am One question about this fix, it does work on windows 11 correct?
To be honest, I never tested. Please remember to try different "compatibility modes". I only use Windows 10 at most.

Some features were removed by GOG because they are not supported by newer Windows.