Deadlock Comics!

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
Occifer Dibble
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Maug

Deadlock Comics!

Post by Occifer Dibble »

Allow me to present something my brother created. He's much younger than I, but as part of his education his considerate brothers introduced him to classic games we ourselves played when young. Deadlock was one of them. And naturally he was drawn to the fantastic characterisation of the races, the satisfying empire-building elements, the simple yet totally entertaining combats, the extensive list of complaints and insults you can throw at enemies, the clever subtleties to spying and subversion that rewards alternative play styles, goodness the list goes on.

Ahem. My brother is a most talented artist (comparatively speaking, at 14) and has a quirky sense of humour. He would love to share with you all his creations: funny comics featuring the Deadlock races. Of course it's all light-hearted parody. Before I go trying to post them, though, I'd like to hear the protocol for putting these things up. I see an Upload attachment button, but I dunno if that's the way. Or whether to just pile on more posts. Hopefully the Mod can give us a bit of direction.

Over to you!
Julie don't live here anymore. She moved away many years before.
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Humans

Re: Deadlock Comics!

Post by SonOfDon »

Occifer Dibble wrote:Allow me to present something my brother created. He's much younger than I, but as part of his education his considerate brothers introduced him to classic games we ourselves played when young. Deadlock was one of them. And naturally he was drawn to the fantastic characterisation of the races, the satisfying empire-building elements, the simple yet totally entertaining combats, the extensive list of complaints and insults you can throw at enemies, the clever subtleties to spying and subversion that rewards alternative play styles, goodness the list goes on.

Ahem. My brother is a most talented artist (comparatively speaking, at 14) and has a quirky sense of humour. He would love to share with you all his creations: funny comics featuring the Deadlock races. Of course it's all light-hearted parody. Before I go trying to post them, though, I'd like to hear the protocol for putting these things up. I see an Upload attachment button, but I dunno if that's the way. Or whether to just pile on more posts. Hopefully the Mod can give us a bit of direction.

Over to you!
Occifer Dibble - welcome to GalliusIV!

Does your brother have a web site on which his comics are displayed, or are able to be displayed (in a non-commercial sense)? Visitors to the site can then choose whether or not to view them. Uploading an example of his work as an image would encourage visitors. Keep the discussion board rules in mind when posting. Finally, encourage your brother's artistic aspirations!

All the best.
Where are we on the curve, we'll know once it goes asymptotic (hopefully).
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Tomgrakk »

Hello there, I am Tomgrakk, brother of Occifer Dibble and creator of Deadlock Comics, among other things. I am the one who (hopefully) be uploading the comics to this thread. As a reply to SonofDon, I do not have my own website, unfortunately. My work is just sitting in My Documents waiting to be used for something, so this forum would be the one and only stop for Deadlock Comics.

The Comics themselves are made in MS Paint, so they may not seem very high-quality, but the humour is still there, even in the simple imagery. Also, the way of conveying the characters came about from the small portraits in the race select screen from Deadlock 1, so some parts of the anatomy may seem incorrect or used for different things, but I think that just adds to the cartoony characterisation. So, I look forward to showing everyone my work and have fun reading Deadlock Comics!

- Tomgrakk
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by Tomgrakk »

Here is an idea of not only one of the comics (in fact, the first comic ever made), but also the method in which they will be uploaded, i.e attaching the file with the post. If anyone has a better idea, then that would be very welcome. Otherwise, this will be the place for Deadlock Comics. So, without further me talking, I present Deadlock Comics #1.

- Tomgrakk
Attachments
Deadlock Comics #1
Deadlock Comics #1
#1.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 55537 times
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by SonOfDon »

Tomgrakk wrote:Here is an idea of not only one of the comics (in fact, the first comic ever made), but also the method in which they will be uploaded, i.e attaching the file with the post. If anyone has a better idea, then that would be very welcome. Otherwise, this will be the place for Deadlock Comics. So, without further me talking, I present Deadlock Comics #1.

- Tomgrakk
Hello

Is the image you posted a typical size and layout, that is, a single panel? I associated the idea of a comic with a much larger file. It should be okay to post images of typically this size. Just keep in mind the rules about the content of your posts.

All the best.
Where are we on the curve, we'll know once it goes asymptotic (hopefully).
Occifer Dibble
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by Occifer Dibble »

As you can see, my brother decided it best to make his own account to post the comics through.
They come in different sizes and with varying numbers of panels, since the style, look and layout developed over time. I hope the larger ones aren't too obtrusive. We opted for .png which is a comparatively small file size, but naturally we're open to hear suggestions.
As for content, this is about the worst it gets. I'll help direct him which ones are best for posting and which should be left out, but of course the mods have control over what is actually allowed, in the end.
Julie don't live here anymore. She moved away many years before.
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by Tomgrakk »

This is the next comic in the lineup. Still on single panels here, but this time featuring the Tarth & Re'Lu.

- Tomgrakk
Attachments
Deadlock Comics #2
Deadlock Comics #2
#2.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 55524 times
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by Tomgrakk »

This comic marks the beginning of a trend where the human's reaction to the Skirineen is to shout out, "EEEK! SCANDAL!", in obvious reference to humans being more susceptible to Skirineen scandals.

- Tomgrakk
Attachments
Deadlock Comics #3
Deadlock Comics #3
#3.png (5 KiB) Viewed 55516 times
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by Tomgrakk »

- Tomgrakk