Getting avatar for this forum?

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Getting avatar for this forum?

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Each of my attempts at uploading an Avatar failed owing to the format or image size (19.6k limit!). How have others gotten or created their avatars?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Getting avatar for this forum?

Post by Tggtt »

20000 bytes are enough for a good 100x100 pixel image. I have been to forums which have a 10kb limit.

Maybe you are not converting it correctly or are trying to upload a long animated gif.

If it's a still image, resize it and save as jpg (better for pictures),png (better for graphics) or gif (should be the best for screenshots taken from Deadlock).

There are applications which allow to define the quality rating to write a smaller file.

Some image hosting providers have options to process your images.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Sounds reasonable although I don't know what specific tools or websites are involved.

How would I resize a scanned image?
How did you generate the image you use?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

I use GIMP and then imagemagick tools for 95% of my image manipulation needs, but they may seem a bit complex.

You may try using XNView or Irfanview. They are very straight forward for resizing, cropping, converting and adding simple filters.
Even MS-Paint can save PNGs in a reasonable quality since the version bundled with Windows XP, afaik.
How would I resize a scanned image?
Any of these would allow you to resize pictures.
How did you generate the image you use?
It's a sprite, it shows the the laser tower firing. I exported it into XPM (text-based graphics format, it is a picture recorded as text) using one of my tools made available under the opendeadlock project.
Then I opened the XPM using a text editor and set the background black and the text light green.
Took a screenshot using GIMP, cropped and converted the image to PNG.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I downloaded XnView, but before getting the urge to make it work, found the image I'm using now. Maybe at a later date I'll focus on just the Maug's horns. Thanks for the tips on avatars.