Spellwrath - Deadlock.. but different

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
Kayzaks
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Maug

Spellwrath - Deadlock.. but different

Post by Kayzaks »

Hey Everyone!

Sorry if this is a bit out of the blue. I'm a huge, huge Deadlock fan. Been playing it for ages and still do from time to time.

As a matter of fact, I've been working on a Deadlock-like game since 2014 called Spellwrath. I've actually used galliusiv.com as a source for balancing the game and a lot of game design decisions!

To explain better what Spellwrath actually is, I think it is best to compare it to Deadlock, and see what's different.

Same as in Deadlock?
- Turn based Strategy ( :D )
- You conquer territories / domains by attacking your enemies
- You can strategically place your Units at your domains for a future attack or defence
- You can build buildings & units in your territories
- Your buildings have an effect on combat and can get damaged
- You gather resources through buildings
- You can research new tech
- And a lot of smaller details I'm forgetting at the moment....

Differences?
- Hex'es instead of Square Grids and is in "3D"
- Combat isn't just an animation of what happened, but rather you play a game of turn based tactics for each battle.
- It has a fantasy Setting (the original version I started in 2010 actually had a battletech setting, but due to copyrights...)
- More focus on the Units & Combat - Leveling, Equipment, Upgrades.. Wouldn't it have been cool to have a hero Holocaust Cannon that is able to destroy entire armies?
- Less focus on micromanaging your territories - No "morale" for example and fewer resource types.
- Story during the game - but you can also play it in a pure conquest mode 8-)
- You can look inside buildings
- No filthy naval Units :D

The game is actually quite far along! I'd estimate around 50% done.
My plan is to release by mid-2018, hopefully earlier!

If you are interested, I regularly post updates on Twitter or you could join the Mailing list on the website or just post here with questions :D

And here is an assortment of some screenshots and stuff.
(I also just realized that I never made a GIF or Screenshot of actually building buildings.... my bad. If there is interest, I can make some though)

Combat - Note that the Combat Grid is the same grid you build on

Building Interior

Some Characters

On the technical side:

The Game uses a custom engine written in C++ using the new Vulkan library. It Features real-time raytracing on the Voxels and mixes that with standard Sprites, to create this fake 3D effect.

Cheers,
Michael
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Spellwrath - Deadlock.. but different

Post by Tggtt »

Hello Kayzaks/Michael;

Thank you very much for sharing your work, it looks really nice.

Best of luck on your project. I hope we can discuss more about it.
Kayzaks wrote:I've actually used galliusiv.com as a source for balancing the game and a lot of game design decisions!
I am curious about what exactly was helpful for balancing as you described. Please tell!

Thanks in advance.
Kayzaks
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Kayzaks »

Tggtt wrote: I am curious about what exactly was helpful for balancing as you described. Please tell!
Actually quite a few of the large gameplay decision I made on my game were directly influenced by reading some of the posts here on the Forum.

For example:

* By looking at what races you guys like to play, it was interesting to note that some races get very little attention, like the Cyth. From this I figured, 6 Factions would be diverse enough for my game.

* Posts like this one and others helped me get a good Picture of how other people play this game. It gave me a good Impression of how many turns seem reasonable to beat the game. This lead to a good estimate of how many territories my Game should center around.

* The Research Overview on the main page was a good indication of what kind of research makes sense. This was surprisingly hard to figure out, as each Research would have a lasting effect on the Game, but I didn't want the Player to become all powerful suddenly.

I probably should have joined much earlier :P
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Interesting, any chance this will include multiplayer?
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Kayzaks
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Kayzaks »

The release won't be including multiplayer, mostly because that would mean a lot of additional work that I have no budget for :(

But, if the game should be successful, I do hope to add multiplayer later on!