OpenDeadlock Alpha 1 Map Contests - Tiny World

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

OpenDeadlock Alpha 1 Map Contests - Tiny World

Post by Tggtt »

Dear OpenDeadlock Fans,

As OpenDeadlock is now entering Alpha, we are running a contest for the most adequate introductory map.
While OpenDeadlock supports world generation, we have decided that it is the best for everyone to have a few standard maps during testing.

The winner maps will be selected to be bundled with OpenDeadlock during Alpha (and perhaps other releases). They could also be used for playing tutorials.
Players will have the opportunity to test OpenDeadlock on the world you have created!

More categories with larger worlds will be added later.

Please contribute! We would love to see more maps.
Category 1 (Tiny World) wrote: Requirements:
Earth-like;
Size 20;
At least 4 Territories;
May have plains, forests, mountains and swamps. Preferably at least one of each.
No seas.
No wastelands.
No buildings.
Please submit it as DL2 MAP file format and a screenshot of the world view.
It is necessary to ZIP the map file before uploading.
Using DL2's world editor is recommended.
It is also possible to edit map files by using an hex editor. Reference.

Notice: By submitting your map, you need to agree that once accepted, it would be converted and released as freely redistributable according to OpenDeadlock's license.
Your nickname will be referenced.

Best of luck everyone!
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Re: OpenDeadlock Alpha 1 Map Contests - Tiny World

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

In the map editor, I picked "size 30" (of 20-40) and got a 7x7 map. What size setting should be used in the map editor?

I just tried to upload MiningExpedition.MAP and was rejected by the website ("The extension map is not allowed").
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

MaugTheInfirm wrote:In the map editor, I picked "size 30" (of 20-40) and got a 7x7 map. What size setting should be used in the map editor?

I just tried to upload MiningExpedition.MAP and was rejected by the website ("The extension map is not allowed").
Thanks for the input, MaugTheInfirm, the requirements are now updated.
This first category is as small as DL2 editor allows you to create a map.
You need to add the MAP into a zip before uploading. Please only zip the map file, the screenshot should be added as another attachment.

If you don't want to make it public on the board, you can send me as PM (only while the contest is running).

Thanks again.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Set size 20 and "earth like" to achieve a 4x5 map. Idea remains same: player starts on forest and learns that plains grows faster. A couple territories away are swamps and mountains. I set 4 starting races, with player as "Human" upper left.

I meant to research screenshots but haven't gotten around to it.
Attachments
tinymtn.zip
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Thank you very much MaugTheInfirm,
I really appreciate the description. Please tell me if you would like to change the map name to something more specific.
The author's name has a specific field in OpenDeadlock map format, that means that the map name itself shouldn't have your nick ;)

Submissions are still open... until January 10.
Multiple submissions per author are allowed. (In fact we already have submissions made by members of development team).
I am going to try to make the voting among the best maps public here.

Please keep it up!

This Contest is now closed. More contests will be up soon.