Discord chat? Gameranger? No campaign missions?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
sigh
Hatchling
Hatchling

Discord chat? Gameranger? No campaign missions?

Post by sigh »

1. Is there a Discord for Deadlock 1 or for the entire series? Does anyone here not know Discord?
2. Why this great game isn't in Gameranger (unless you have Mac)?
3. This game is still surprisingly very fine looking. Supports widescreen and windowed mode too. BUT... it lacks (or so I assume) single-player story. Campaigns are useful and fun for many reasons beyond the need to explain it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the attention again, this game rocks!
Last edited by sigh on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Discord chat? Gameranger? No campaign missions?

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

sigh wrote:1. Is there a Discord for Deadlock 1 or for the entire series? Does anyone here not know Discord?
I'll have to look that up, I have no idea what that is sorry.
sigh wrote:2. Why this great game isn't in Gameranger (unless you have Mac)?
It might have something to do with Deadlock I for the Mac supporting TCP/IP and the Windows version only supporting IPX, but then again, that wouldn't explain why Deadlock II isn't supported (then again, it might not have been on the developer's radar when the original was).
sigh wrote:3. This game is still surprisingly very fine looking. Supports widescreen and windowed mode too. BUT... it lacks (or so I assume) single-player story. Campaigns are useful and fun for many reasons beyond the need to explain it. Any thoughts?
Well, I'd imagine because it wouldn't really be possible to fit an interesting campaign into the Gallius IV storyline, with Deadlock II and the dark cloud story, it was much easier to do (hence they did include a campaign there, if you didn't know).
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
sigh
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by sigh »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:I'll have to look that up, I have no idea what that is sorry.
Try it, at least for the experience, discord is new but quite popular already! 8-)

Just created -> Deadlock Discord Chat: https://discord.gg/wkJAkJK

I could hand over the ownership later (if at least a few people stick around a bit) to someone here.
If anyone has or knows a DL discord already, do tell pls!
It might have something to do with Deadlock I for the Mac supporting TCP/IP and the Windows version only supporting IPX, but then again, that wouldn't explain why Deadlock II isn't supported (then again, it might not have been on the developer's radar when the original was).
I particularly consider Hamachi horrible. Are or were there any other options (which would require ports/firewall to be opened I guess)?
Well, I'd imagine because it wouldn't really be possible to fit an interesting campaign into the Gallius IV storyline, with Deadlock II and the dark cloud story, it was much easier to do (hence they did include a campaign there, if you didn't know).
Dl2 has the same 7 races?
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

sigh wrote:Dl2 has the same 7 races?
Yep, the exact same 7 with no new ones.
sigh wrote:I particularly consider Hamachi horrible. Are or were there any other options (which would require ports/firewall to be opened I guess)?
I think other than IPX, it was just serial and modem play, none of which will work with modern Windows either. It might be possible to play Deadlock I online with IPX under DOSBox with Windows 3.1 using TCP/IP tunnelling (i.e., transporting IPX packets in TCP/IP packets over the internet), but I've never got it to work. The only one I have played online is Deadlock II with Hamachi.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

sigh wrote:I particularly consider Hamachi horrible. Are or were there any other options (which would require ports/firewall to be opened I guess)?
If you have enough know-how to open ports, you might like using VirtualBox UDP tunneling as well.
I has always worked for me with different Windows versions. (both Deadlock versions)

The only problem is that it only works well up to 2 players.