Deadlock II on Hamachi??

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Deadlock II on Hamachi??

Post by surchk »

I do recall there being a small cult of DL2 lovers out there who were working up a way of playing DL2 with each other via the multiplayer-network option. I remember them trying to go about doing this with a VPN software called hamachi. Do any of you guys have any insight on this?

As for me, I did try to get this working but with no success. I was able to get a game going on my own home network but my cousin in Florida and I (in NY) just couldnt work out the kinks to get it to work. Ill do a bit of Googleing to see what I can dig up again on this matter, or maybe there is some other VPN software out there that could help.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Deadlock II on Hamachi??

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Hmm, i've never heard about this, i'll have to look up Hamachi. Where did you hear about this? I have played DL2 over multiplayer, but that was over TCP/IP. I assume you mean over the internet. I've never tried playing DL2 over the internet, I haven't even played DL1 over the internet (i've played a lot more of DL1).
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. So, it's a way of connecting machines over the internet as though they are on a local network, interesting. I might look at the Mac OS X build and find some way to try it.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
surchk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by surchk »

Lol. YES!! Thats it!!

I should have been a bit more clear when explaining. But yeah that's the jist of what I was getting at. Im still looking for an alternative to Hamachi to setup a "home network" for remote PC's, or I just might re-download Hamachi and give it another shot. I forgot what exactly was the issue I was having in the first place. Maybe theres an updated version that just might work out for me.
donpost
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by donpost »

Tried Deadlock 2 with Hamachi last night. You have two options, IPX or TCP/IP. IPX is out of the question for me as I'm on Vista 64 bit. So that leaves TCP/IP.

The issue I had was that the server would show up, but if you clicked on it to join nothing would happen. I think this might be the issue you were having, surchk, as I've seen this reported elsewhere too.

At this point I was about to give up, but I had one last trick up my sleeve...AND IT WORKED! :D

The hosting computer must forward the following ports:

2300-2400 TCP & UDP
47624 TCP & UDP

Note: Being in your router's DMZ is not enough, you MUST forward those ports. In fact you don't even need to be in the DMZ at all.

Played a multiplayer game over the net for a few hours yesterday and it all seemed stable. The only crash I encountered was sometimes when right-clicking on individual units to bring up the orders/stats screen.

Hope this helps :)
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by SonOfDon »

donpost wrote:Tried Deadlock 2 with Hamachi last night. ...At this point I was about to give up, but I had one last trick up my sleeve...AND IT WORKED! :D

...Hope this helps :)
Thanks for sorting this out!

How many took part in your network game?
Where are we on the curve, we'll know once it goes asymptotic (hopefully).
surchk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by surchk »

donpost wrote:Tried Deadlock 2 with Hamachi last night. You have two options, IPX or TCP/IP. IPX is out of the question for me as I'm on Vista 64 bit. So that leaves TCP/IP.

The issue I had was that the server would show up, but if you clicked on it to join nothing would happen. I think this might be the issue you were having, surchk, as I've seen this reported elsewhere too.

At this point I was about to give up, but I had one last trick up my sleeve...AND IT WORKED! :D

The hosting computer must forward the following ports:

2300-2400 TCP & UDP
47624 TCP & UDP

Note: Being in your router's DMZ is not enough, you MUST forward those ports. In fact you don't even need to be in the DMZ at all.

Played a multiplayer game over the net for a few hours yesterday and it all seemed stable. The only crash I encountered was sometimes when right-clicking on individual units to bring up the orders/stats screen.

Hope this helps :)

Awesome!!!

Will check this out A.S.A.P. Ill try running a game with my cousin in Florida hopefully we can get this going, will keep you guys posted.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor

Post by TimeDilation »

HI GUYS! SO EXCITED AS A NEW MEMBER YEEYEYEY!

i used to play DL2 over an hamachi tcp/ip connection with a friend of mine.

but now its different...my win7 x64 system doesnt run DL2 anymore...so I had to install virtual xp machine emulator in order to run a (windowed) DL2!

my question is... although i can play solo, with some graphic issue to deal with, can i play over an hamachi tcp/ip connection from within a xp emulation, which is ran by a win7 x64 system?

lol, i know.

alternatives? some of you guys can succesfully run DL2 on win7? my installer doesnt even start....

I still have an .ISO image with patch. and kept playing that game every now and then, so that i completed every campaign.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deadlock II is very easy to run under Windows 7 64-Bit, just copy the install folder (the one with Deadlock.exe in it) off the CD, make sure Deadlock.exe is given administrators privileges and it should run fine. There is no need to use the 16-Bit installer (which won't run on any 64-bit version of Windows).

Welcome to the forum TimeDilation.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor

Post by TimeDilation »

howdy!
i read the topics here and there, at the end i installed virtual box, windows xp from cd, daemon tools to run iso image, and hamachi. patched dl2.

afterwards, i had to deal with some graphic issues concerning a "tile" forming around the mouse pointer and screwing the screen.
had to make some workaround which i can explain in detail but that i sum up in: "re-foldering" and open a different .exe

went on xp firewall and set dl2 exceptions, hamachi exceptions.

went on hamachi and that's where im a bit uncertain:

i found this guide www.freewebs.com/myhamachiservers/gamingoverhamachi.htm

and what about udp tcp ports?
i've red that is should put about 2300-2400 tcp & udp, or 47624 tcp & udp (but im not sure why it's the same value...)