Silent Running

Off-Topic. Remember to follow forum rules.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Silent Running

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Have any of you ever seen the science fiction movie Silent Running, I know SonOfDon has. It's my favourite movie, watched it 21 times in one week, last year. It's a classic, great story, great music, great solo acting. SurchK, the main character in it is a lot like an Uva Mosk, with his deep respect for nature. Both the movies Wall-E and Moon took a lot of inspiration from Silent Running. So, if you like Sci-Fi movies, check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Re: Silent Running

Post by surchk »

Sounds awesome!! Plus, its on netflix!! Will definitely check it out, hopefully tonight.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, it's a great movie. I wish I could get Netflix, it sounds really awesome. But it's not available in Australia. :x
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by surchk »

Really?! Wow that sucks! I thought the online streaming may have been available. Well there are two companies that I know of which are avail in AUS, DVD Jam and QuickFlix. You might want to try looking into them.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really see much point in renting movies online, if you can't stream them. It doesn't look like there is anything like Netflix's streaming capabilities in Australia. It's generally easier (and cheaper), just to go down to Blockbuster (or any other video store) and rent a pile of them for $5 or so. I have used iTunes for digital downloads, not for renting just buying, which is good, but expensive.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found a very good review of Silent Running, just now:

http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.b ... -1972.html

The review contains many spoilers, so I wouldn't read it unless you have already seen the movie. If you have seen the movie, I think this will help anyone understand, all the complex points of the film. This review truly outlines, why Silent Running is such a landmark film (and in my opinion, the best ever made).

Silent Running was filmed in February-March 1971, I believe. That's 40 years ago, 2 months back! Time flies. I'm actually watching the film, right now. In Spanish!
funsukh
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by funsukh »

Silent Running is a Bruce Dern movie of year 1972. I have watched this one time about two years ago. In this movie an astronaut is given orders to destroy the last of Earth's plant life.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

The film will be out on Blu-ray in the UK (Region B) on November 14:

Regular: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Running- ... 987&sr=8-3

Steelbook: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Running- ... _cp_d_h__1