Why did you start playing DL?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
slipzen
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Maug

Re: Why did you start playing DL?

Post by slipzen »

SonOfDon wrote:
Uva_Mosk wrote:Hello! i'm new here and i¿m very happy to know there are more DL fans around the globe :mrgreen: I am asking this because DL is not a a too common game and I want you to share your story :D
...Now i cant find my cd anymore! I think i left it in my parent's house but who knows :P
Okay, I'll chime in here. This is a cut and paste of my post under another thread: I first encountered it when I'd visit my colleague in his office over lunch and find him playing the trial version, which of course was limited to 40(?)? turns. He wouldn't purchase the full game as he'd not get any work done if he had! (We ran at lunch time usually. We had a 5 kilometre course that took us about 20 minutes, although he could do it in 15 and so he could sneak a quick run of the trial version in too sometimes!)

Bought the Mac version once it became available but have to drag an old system out if it is to be played these days.
Pretty much the same for me. Mac-demo then full version for mac. I like those old days with a slow connection, a slow mac and no money. I had about 50 or so games... and all were demos :D

Cant for the like of me remember where i did get the copy of the full version though. But it's a real treat with the colony leaders guidebook. It adds so much to the game. :)
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by SonOfDon »

slipzen wrote:
SonOfDon wrote:
Uva_Mosk wrote:Hello! i'm new here and i¿m very happy to know there are more DL fans around the globe :mrgreen: I am asking this because DL is not a a too common game and I want you to share your story :D
...Now i cant find my cd anymore! I think i left it in my parent's house but who knows :P
Okay, I'll chime in here. This is a cut and paste of my post under another thread: I first encountered it when I'd visit my colleague in his office over lunch and find him playing the trial version, which of course was limited to 40(?)? turns. He wouldn't purchase the full game as he'd not get any work done if he had! (We ran at lunch time usually. We had a 5 kilometre course that took us about 20 minutes, although he could do it in 15 and so he could sneak a quick run of the trial version in too sometimes!)

Bought the Mac version once it became available but have to drag an old system out if it is to be played these days.
Pretty much the same for me. Mac-demo then full version for mac. I like those old days with a slow connection, a slow mac and no money. I had about 50 or so games... and all were demos :D

Cant for the like of me remember where i did get the copy of the full version though. But it's a real treat with the colony leaders guidebook. It adds so much to the game. :)
Slipzen, welcome to the forum. Making progress with the demo certainly was a challenge but the game imposed a discipline that ensured that it was no more than a lunch break long!

All the best.
Where are we on the curve, we'll know once it goes asymptotic (hopefully).
Vlad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Vlad »

Hi! I started playin DL2 when I was 13, it was my "Regalo de Reyes" ("King's present" in english, the equivalent to the northamerican santa claus' presents, here in México) on winter 99, and it came with a demo cd of Doom and Heretic. These three games just blowed my mind at once; I love Metal Music and I remember being hipnoptized with DL2 while listening to my firsts heavy albums (of course in my firsts games I couldn't managed the entire colony at all!). Damned! I still play DL2 with a good Death, Gothic, or Shymphonic metal band as background music. So I have a real sentimental connection to this game.

I couldn't play DL Planetary Conquest, because it seems to be impossible to find in my country, and I'm not sure if a downloadable version could run in a windows seven ^^U
We are what Nighmares are Made, We are the encarnation of Ancient Rancors, We are the Silence of the Universe... WE ARE THE CYTH!
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Vlad wrote:I couldn't play DL Planetary Conquest, because it seems to be impossible to find in my country, and I'm not sure if a downloadable version could run in a windows seven ^^U
Heh, you're missing out. You could always try Ebay or Amazon. As far as I know, there is no Spanish version, so it would have to be the English version (which doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem for you). Deadlock 1 will run on Windows 7, check the Technical Discussion forum for help.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

i write it here also:
a relative of mine ran a videogame shop many years ago. he closed up and stored all leftovers in a cellar. that cellar was recently open and many DL2 copies came out of the dust.

i can send them FOR FREE.

i still have the manual in hard copy.
( but i regret so much i threw away the original box!)

just contact me at creso@fastwebnet.it

answering the question:
i started to play deadlock 1 demo thanks to a magazine about Apple computers. there was a cd with Deadlock Demo. i think i was 11.
then, i asked it as a christmas present, and i got DL2 instead.
that's it! my best friend was really envious of my brand new game and soon he bought one for him... we played a few multi and the rest is history.

when age of empires 2 popped out, there was no space for deadlock..... until now :twisted:

the thing i miss more of DL1 was the city sounds, evolving along the building of the colony
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

A neighbor of mine traded deadlock: planetary conquest for a soccer game I had, he thought strategy games were too complex to be fun.
I was around 8 years old.
luxoflax
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by luxoflax »

Less than 10 years old on my dad's computer at work in the early 90's. Deadlock had just come out and I found a Mac demo online. Thought it was the best game ever, even though I only had a limited number of rounds to play. Still managed to win a few games!

In early 2000 we got our first home PC. I'd already bought SC2K and wanted Deadlock like crazy. I found a website (that OMG still exists: http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/deadlock.htm ) and it was my family's first online purchase. The day the game arrived was a joyous occasion.
Sirre
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Post by Sirre »

I got the Deadlock demo from a Mac magazine around the time of the game's release. I tried it and got hooked immediately. Around the same time I bought the full version of Settlers II, but I kept playing the demo of Deadlock instead of my newly bought game. The demo only lasted for 40 turns IIRC, but I remember repeatedly trying to beat the game in this limited time. Man, those were the days.

Anyway, I soon bought the game after that, best purchase ever. :D
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

"This looks interesting."

I found a blue box for $10 in a bargain bin at CompUSA. I took a chance with nothing but the box, and the Deadlock manual/background alone were worth the price. Very entertaining. Unfortunately the game CD was flawed, and if I played enough hours in a row, I'd be forced to stop when Windows crashed. I suppose you could call it the addict's version of Deadlock: crash after 3 hours.

Although I didn't like Deadlock 2 initially, I recently purchased it online when I discovered it had an entire campaign. That and the original Deadlock, so no flawed game CD worries now.
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by zombipuppy »

I was a young kid, ogling the retail box of Deadlock: Planetary Conquest at my local Office Depot. The cover art and screenshots on the back were mesmerizing to me, and I knew I had to play it. I came across a demo disc (or maybe a download?) of the trial version and I was hooked.

Ended up convincing my father to buy it as a birthday gift for a friend's upcoming birthday. We installed it on his PC, and I snuck away during some party activities to give it a whirl. My friend graciously allowed me to borrow the game that same day (I think he understood my fascination and obsession with it), and eventually got it as a gift from my father a few months later.

I had read the manual with all the lore and unit/building/tech detail front to back numerous times. I absolutely adored everything this game offered. My friend and I loved the Tarth, and would romp around imitating the voice actor's quirky one-liners (I particularly loved the one with all the Tarth chef's culinary specialties). In school, I would draw out the same jigsaw maps on paper and effect a tabletop version of the game with some adhoc on-the-fly rules.

A few years later (and still being a young kid), I wrote a letter to Accolade stating my difficulties procuring funds to buy Deadlock II. After a couple of weeks, a package came for me--a brand new copy of Deadlock II: Shrine Wars. I loved that company and was sad when they went defunt in '99.

Deadlock will always have a special place in my heart. Knowing restrospectively that so many other strategy games offered more depth and challenge, Deadlock 1 and 2 will always be my favorite strategy games from that era of PC gaming.