Running Deadlock on Windows 7

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Running Deadlock on Windows 7

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Deadlock works under Windows 7 (and 8), just follow these steps:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 320?page=2

It worked for me. The Mac version is still the best though.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Running Deadlock on Windows 7

Post by zombipuppy »

Worked for me in terms of getting the game to run. But even with all the compatibility adjustments on the executable, and the changing of the resolution aspect ratio, it still manages to freeze at random intervals. As far as my experience goes, the only operating system that let the game run flawlessly was Windows 95.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try leaving all the compatibility settings off, they just cause crashes. Without having any compatibility settings on, the game ran fine for me.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
KajQrd
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by KajQrd »

I can't seem to get it to work on my computer in windows 7 64-bit. It seems to crash way to often to be playable. And I have tried pretty much all resolutions and compatibility settings (including none) but I have never gotten any further than three turns in before it freezes and I have to close it using the task manager. I have however gotten it to work reasonably stable running it in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox. So if all else fails that is a good solution if a little slow.
luxoflax
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by luxoflax »

Hi! I just found this board after successfully getting it to run on my pc. I have Windows 7 64 bit as well.

My biggest issue was that the game wouldn't let me instal from the CD.

I used a work computer with Windows XP and installed it there, then copied it onto a USB and put it on my PC.

I then had to download and instal two .dll files: "wing32" and "bwcc32" (both from http://www.dll-files.com/)
"bwcc32" went into the main "Deadlock" folder but "wing32" had to be placed in both the "system32" and "syswow64" folders.

The game kept crashing until I used the 1.31 patch from this site:
http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/patch/10355- ... nquest.php

Then the game would run but I still couldn't save/load games. The advice from /u/Ubergeneral Grunt about avoiding compatibility settings paid off. I previously had it for Win95 but I turned that off and now the game runs perfectly.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum luxoflax. Please see this topic about sound under Windows 7: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=317. Using the WAIL32.DLL here, you should be able to get sound with less crashes under Windows 7 . The only problem is that territory sounds (which fade in and out) will occasionally crash the game. By turning sound off (but leaving music on), the crashes will disappear. Battle sounds don't crash the game, but can't be left on without territory sounds. You will have music at least, but if you can stand the occasional reload after a crash (just close Deadlock, then re-open the autosave), you can have the other sounds too.

Disabling visual themes in the compatibility mode settings fixes the issue with the save and load dialog boxes not appearing, when using Windows 95 compatibility.

You can run Deadlock v1.20 (the version installed by the game CD) under Windows 7, just make sure you only save and load games to and from the same directory as Deadlock.exe and Spritelg.dat. You'd only have to use v1.20 if you are playing the Italian or Portuguese versions of Deadlock, which can't be patched to v1.31 (without changing them into the English version at least).

I've found that you can install Deadlock under Windows 7, if you replace the 16-bit Setup.exe with a 32-bit version. Just copy all the files the installer needs (maybe just copy all the files, minus the movies and documentation) off the CD into a directory. You can find a 32-bit version of the setup.exe here: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988. From memory Deadlock uses InstallShield 3, so if you download Is3Engine.zip from the aforementioned link, then extract the Setup executable (I think it might be called Setup32.exe), replace the 16-bit Setup.exe in the directory to which the files off Deadlock's CD were copied with that Setup.exe, you should be able to install Deadlock under Windows 7.
luxoflax
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by luxoflax »

Thanks for the welcome!

I found that the steps you gave here and the ones I experimented with work wonders. I keep music turned off because I prefer listening to my own stuff when I play but the SFX and videos all work just fine!

Thanks for this website as a resource! :-)
dunkgreen
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by dunkgreen »

The GOG.com download is currently broken for Windows 8. :(

http://www.gog.com/forum/deadlock_serie ... blem/page1
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

dunkgreen may be right for Windows 8, but on Windows 7 64-bit the gog.com version works fine for me.
dunkgreen
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by dunkgreen »

I actually got rid of my new Windows 8 machine and bought a refurbished Windows 7 laptop so I could play Deadlock 2!