Anyone tried Deadlock on Windows 10?

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Anyone tried Deadlock on Windows 10?

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Microsoft has offered free Windows 10 upgrades to both Windows 7 & 8 users. Has anyone tried running Deadlock I or II on Windows 10?
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Re: Anyone tried Deadlock on Windows 10?

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I can confirm Windows 10 64-bit has trouble running Deadlock 2. Per my post above, I went ahead and upgraded but cannot get Deadlock 2 working. I've tried running "dxwnd", a program that allows fine grain control over running programs - it even has an entry for deadlock II in the dxwnd program.

Some potential areas to try:
* compatibility mode (I tried everything I could, but couldn't find anything that worked)
* rollback driver update
* install latest driver update
* different settings on dxwnd
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

*downgrade to windows 7 :P
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Someone who works on graphics fixes for older games has addressed the problems I saw in Windows 10. Version 0.2.0 makes Deadlock 2 playable again.
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/ ... tag/v0.2.0
Download ddraw.zip and extract it into your Deadlock 2 directory. The game picks it up and uses it, fixing the blank screens and mouse smearing problem. As an added level of trust, the developer who made the fix also includes the C++ source code they wrote for each release.
Last edited by MaugTheInfirm on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Hi MaugTheInfirm,

I am glad it seems to have worked.

On the other hand if the problem is simply these graphical glitches (which also happen on Windows 8 and WINE), I created a DL2 downgrade patch a while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=357

Another solution could be using DxWnd.

I tried to run DDrawCompat under WINE but it causes Deadlock 2 1.20 to crash. The patch is still the best way to go. Despite removing the editor ability, should work fine for campaign and multiplayer (patched versions are multiplayer compatible to every other version).
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

DxWnd doesn't yet work for Windows 10 64-bit (for me). But there's hope: I connected the person who works on DxWnd and the person who make fixes in ddraw.dll, and they're having a lengthy technical discussion here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... /b8aaa6ff/
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

MaugTheInfirm: Do you know if the DL2 demo works on Windows 10 without the glitch?
You can find it here: http://galliusiv.com/Gallius_IV/Downloads.html

I am curious about it, because it seems that Windows 10 has changed the behavior of DDraw.

I tried to make a patch for DL2 by replacing the BitBlt calls but it was too hard and it wasn't certain if it would work, so I just made a 1.2->1.0 downgrade patch that works with GoG files without CD.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I just attempted to install the demo from the location you specified. The install aborted when trying to write to my SSD drive. My first attempt failed to create a directory, so I assisted the install by creating one. The second attempt failed to copy files. Overall, the install program was unable to write to an SSD drive. So I was unable to install the demo. In upgrading to Windows 10 I made a clean install onto an SSD, replacing the last HDD in my system. So I'll leave it to others to try the demo using an older hard drive on a Windows 10 system.
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by zombipuppy »

Hey guys,

There's a new fix for Deadlock II for Windows 8/10 machines. I made a new thread about it since I didn't see this one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=387

Hope it helps!