Running Deadlock on Windows 7

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Running Deadlock on Windows 7

Post by Tggtt »

dunkgreen wrote:The GOG.com download is currently broken for Windows 8. :(

http://www.gog.com/forum/deadlock_serie ... blem/page1

I have created a patch for Windows 8, please check if it's enough for you. (not limited to dunkgreen)

DL2 GOG Patch for Windows 8 and WINE

Please test it, I'm curious if it really solves the issue.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

hey,
does the link at the beginning refers to DL2 as well?
because i've tried to fetch these files into my emulated XP but cannot find them, and some of them (last 2 in the list, precisely) are really impossible to find, to me.
these guys are:
WINGDIB.DRV
WINGPAL.WND
do i really need these?

I am trying to run DL2 on win7.

then, other way i tried, is simply copy INSTALL folder onto my pc and start it.
but, i have this problem that regardless of the resolution or screen size i set, the game now (not before, who knows what i changed?) runs in such a smaaaaall window, large as a youtube video for instance! this is really making me sick.
i try different resolutions and the window keeps staying at the same size 800x600 or 1920x1080 makes no difference. i will always have this kinda 340x480, no way to make it larger.

i think that, "below" that window surrounded by black screen, the desktop gets squeezed as well at that dimension, except that the windows start menu is visible for a fraction of a second IN the bottom corner of this small window (not in the black area - bottom corner of the screen) and it is still in the same dimensions of regular resolution! so it looks like a "screen crop" and at the same time a resolution issue.

have no clue!
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Hello TimeDilation, welcome back!

I am puzzled about your question. I never had any problems running Deadlock 2 on Windows XP.
does the link at the beginning refers to DL2 as well?
However, you might wish to create a new topic, because this topic is about Deadlock 1 only. (despite some DL2 questions and patch references).

Maybe you have tried a compatibility setting (as pointed earlier) to set it to a small resolution. I think these settings are not necessary for Windows XP, not sure about Windows 7, however. I think that DL2 should work fine on any 32 bit Windows 7 as well.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

TimeDilation wrote: then, other way i tried, is simply copy INSTALL folder onto my pc and start it.
but, i have this problem that regardless of the resolution or screen size i set, the game now (not before, who knows what i changed?) runs in such a smaaaaall window, large as a youtube video for instance! this is really making me sick.
i try different resolutions and the window keeps staying at the same size 800x600 or 1920x1080 makes no difference. i will always have this kinda 340x480, no way to make it larger.

i think that, "below" that window surrounded by black screen, the desktop gets squeezed as well at that dimension, except that the windows start menu is visible for a fraction of a second IN the bottom corner of this small window (not in the black area - bottom corner of the screen) and it is still in the same dimensions of regular resolution! so it looks like a "screen crop" and at the same time a resolution issue.

have no clue!
Deadlock II (for reasons which no one has ever been able to figure out), is fixed to a 640x480 resolution, unlike the original which could run glitch-free at anything up to 1280x1024. It sounds like you are running into a game limitation rather than a bug.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

i found a great fix for that: simply updated the graphic drivers and downloaded a nice utility from the producer to scale up the screen. it runs fine, with sounds, cinematic and everything.
i'm cheering!