Need help with patch

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
ttrush
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Cyth

Need help with patch

Post by ttrush »

Hey there, I love this game and haven't played it in ages. I got the game for my brother for christmas and we tried to download the 1.2 update for deadlock 2 and it turned the main menu into a black screen that flickered sometimes when moving the mouse over main menu options. We are just trying to find out how to do custom scenarios like we used to do. I have a windows 8 computer. I was able to run the game in compatibility mode. Something goes wrong when downloading the update. Any idea what is happening? Thanks.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Need help with patch

Post by Tggtt »

This glitch happens when you try to run it in a window.
Deadlock 2 doesn't run windowed. Try it without the compatibility mode.

I recommend running it under Windows 4 (95,98) or 5 versions (2000,2003,XP) using a VM to run it windowed. A workaround is needed when installing it on 2000 and 2003, but it works smoothly after that.

GOG.com now sells Deadlock 2 for a reasonable price, you can get real Windows 8 support (or your money back) if you can't run it.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Apparently GOG doesn't support Deadlock II under Windows 8 at the moment. Some people have been reporting similar issues to your's on the GOG forums.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Deadlock 2 also glitches the same way under Wine. I have changed a lot of settings, including backbuffers, virtual desktops, grab mouse cursor and etc and it keeps glitching like that.
Running a VM is still my recommended way to go.

According to this: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=7436
Wine acts like Windows 8, it glitches when updated but doesn't when running 1.0.0.
I have had trouble with the 1.0.0 because it only check a single CD drive when searching for the CD.
ttrush
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ttrush »

What is VM and what do I need to do to resolve my problem?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

VM stands for Virtual Machine.
I run Windows 2000 and XP over more recent operating systems using VirtualBox.
A how-to can be found here.

If you prefer, the original Deadlock 2 1.0.0 should work under Windows 8, if the few bugs don't bother you and you don't use the world editor, it should be a problem.
ttrush
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ttrush »

The world editor is a part that I would like to have. Should I follow the tutorial about VM to do so?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

I don't know any better option yet.

If we find something else, we will reply to this topic.

[technical]
I've tried patching DL2 to run in emulated graphics and change the paint structure without success to make that Wine glitch disappear (which seems to be the same that happens under Windows 8).
I don't know what they did with windows 8, it also has lots of problems when dealing with opengl.

What could be the cause:
Mixing DirectDraw with clipped GDI paint. GDI creates a backbuffer to allow you to redraw the cursor or something like that. But if the backbuffer is dealt by DirectDraw instead of GDI, it would be blank (black) and then GDI paints the blank part to screen.
I have another idea to create a patch about it, but it is going to need experimentation.