Deadlock 2 on Windows 8.1

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
osarusan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Deadlock 2 on Windows 8.1

Post by osarusan »

Now that Deadlock 2 has been released on Steam, a number of people are noticing that the game won't work on Windows 8.1. I haven't tried the re-patched version here on the forums yet (I'm saving that for a last resort, as I'd like to play the patched version), but does anyone know of any other way to get the game to work on newer PC's?

The problem folks are having on Windows 8.1 has something to do with direct draw I think. The game loads, the videos play, and the main screen comes up, but as soon as the mouse is moved, the screen turns black and nothing can be seen. The game runs, its just not visible.

Playing in windowed mode doesn't have the exact same problem -- pink boxes and artifacts appear around the mouse, making it playable, but only just barely.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Deadlock 2 on Windows 8.1

Post by Tggtt »

It seems to be the same problem of any updated Deadlock 2.

If the official publishers can't solve it, just try the patch I have made available.

However, I cannot assure it is going to work with that version, the bspatch would warn you if it's incompatible. (It was only tested with the GoG version).

Honestly, if you cannot make it work you should consider asking for refund.

Don't mind me, but this made me a little upset about Steam's Deadlock release:
six.png
six.png (248.55 KiB) Viewed 16809 times
(Yes it's about DL1 not DL2, but they cannot even count how many races...?)
osarusan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: ChCh-t

Post by osarusan »

For anyone else coming here: it's possible to get it to work on Windows 8.1 now.

There is a program called DxWnd which helps old Directx games run in Windows.

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... /b25ff4aa/

This thread has the information on Deadlock 2 as well as the settings file to get it running.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Thanks for sharing that Osarusan, I will link that on my patch topic, it could be a better solution than what I have planned so far.