Game freeze at turn end in Deadlock 2

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
Kapitan Man
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Game freeze at turn end in Deadlock 2

Post by Kapitan Man »

In Deadlock 2 I will sometimes (but not often) have the following problem: Upon hitting the next turn button, a message box will appear saying something like "Your silicon-based opponents are considering their strategy..." This box doesn't resolve or go away in any way. The game is essentially frozen, although the music still plays normally. The autosave being loading just instantly opens up to that frozen box. I can still open my own saved game (not autosave) but ending the turn will still cause the frozen message box. I have tried moving units differently, attacking vs not attacking, trying to trade or make pacts with the enemy, etc., but nothing works and the game always freezes the same way when I hit next turn.

I am using the GoG version of Deadlock 2 on Windows 10 and have of course used the great ddraw.dll file fix. However, I don't think it actually has anything to do with operating system or game version or game file compatibility, etc.. It really seems like a glitch that would appear in any version (I experienced it a few years ago on a different operating system as well).

Is there any fix or knowledge about this glitch and how it is caused or how to avoid it? I do realize there is a sort of "half-solution," but I don't want to have to have 2 or 3 save files and alternate them each turn so I can go back far enough to change events and hope the glitch doesn't happen. Thanks for any response or info on this issue!
~ Hatchling Pride ~ Hatchlings Unite ~ I saw a guy getting beat up by 4 other guys, so I had to go help. He had no chance against all of us.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Game freeze at turn end in Deadlock 2

Post by Tggtt »

Hello Kapitan Man,
And welcome to Gallius IV.

I have seen this issue before while playing Deadlock II. It is probably a bug.
I believe it is caused by the AI getting stuck on processing, so it might not help to change your actions for the current turn.
There are currently no efforts on patching what is causing it and I don't know exactly what causes it... yet.

My biggest recommendation is to save more often.

If you are willing to show us the save game that causes the "freeze", we could try to debug and find the exact cause.
All you need to do is to add the save game file into a zip and upload as attachment to this forum while replying.

However, I cannot promise it is going to solve the problem.

My apologies. :(
Kapitan Man
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Kapitan Man »

Ok thank you for the response. That really makes me think it is just a rare bug, as you said, which is mostly what I wanted to confirm. I don't have the save anymore, but if it happens again, maybe I will post it in case anyone with "programmer skills" is curious to mess with it. Also, you are correct that changing enough or certain specific things will sometimes solve the problem. In my experience changing whether you are attacking or not attacking is the most effective. Thank you again for the quick response.
~ Hatchling Pride ~ Hatchlings Unite ~ I saw a guy getting beat up by 4 other guys, so I had to go help. He had no chance against all of us.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor

Post by TimeDilation »

Hello I had this before.
It is linked with something happening in the game.
When you reload, try doing something completely different. Perhaps you were attacking some territory? Or moving some troops? Try just to push end turn right away...