Deadlock 2: Gameplay fixes

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
MildewMan1
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Tarth

Deadlock 2: Gameplay fixes

Post by MildewMan1 »

Hello all,

I would like to let everyone know that I have created code that should fix some of the gameplay issues with Deadlock 2 on newer systems.

While reversing the game code, I recently discovered that Cyberlore didn't truly utilize DirectDraw when making DL2. They basically used it to set the monitor display mode to 640x480, and that's about it. Everything else is handled by Windows GDI and their assembly code drawing functions. Since DD is deprecated and doesn't generally work correctly on newer systems, this code eliminates the DirectDraw dependency completely!

It should also correct issues with the black screen when using version 1.20. The blue cursor icon will no longer show up at all. Instead the normal Windows mouse cursor icon will be used.

Other fixes and the code can be found at my Github repo here: https://github.com/MildewMan1/dl2_ddraw

If anyone tries this out, please let me know if you run into any bugs, and I will take a look at it.

Edit: Added that the drawing is also handled by their assembly code drawing functions.