Deadlock II on Hamachi??

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Re: Deadlock II on Hamachi??

Post by TimeDilation »

edit to previous post:

updating deadlock with the patch actually causes me, and friends of mine running it on a win xp emulation, the graphic bug of the "tile" forming around mouse pointer, and then the "track" of mouse movements.
this makes deadlock unplayable, although it works fine with everything.

if someone has a workaround or a fix for this, it would be welcome.
up to that moment, i'll play on the basic version.

QUESTION:
do players with different versions of DL2 can play toghether??
surchk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by surchk »

been a while since ive been on here.

just wondering if anyone has explored options of Hamachi, or has found an alternative for playing Deadlock 1 or 2 over a virtual TCP/IP network, or maybe the proper an working settings for hamachi has been found.

At the moment, I am trying to dig up my old discs to re-install on my laptop. On a side note ive been dreaming of a Deadlock 3 :D :D
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Well, even if Deadlock III never comes, hopefully OpenDeadlock will eventually become a worthy successor to Deadlock. Welcome back, surchk, it's been a good two or so years.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
surchk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by surchk »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:Well, even if Deadlock III never comes, hopefully OpenDeadlock will eventually become a worthy successor to Deadlock. Welcome back, surchk, it's been a good two or so years.

Haha yeah!

Ive been away from all of my various forums I frequent; astronomy, subaru, and various gaming forums. Been busying juggling school and work and finding a new job etc. On a break from classes for now so now ive got some extra time to catch up on whats been going on :D :D
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

surchk wrote:just wondering if anyone has explored options of Hamachi, or has found an alternative for playing Deadlock 1 or 2 over a virtual TCP/IP network, or maybe the proper an working settings for hamachi has been found.
Sorry for the late reply, I have played a lot of Deadlock (both versions) with another member by running it on a Virtual Box VM using Virtual Box UDP Tunnel network.

Both of the players (unfortunatelly this UDPTunnel only supports 2 machines) just need to set their ip addresses and the incoming and the outgoing ports (the incoming port is the outgoing for the other party and vice-versa). Then just get a machine to host a game and the other will be able to join it as a LAN game. It always works here without complications (despite the effort to make the ports open and know both IP addresses).

There's another networking mode that allows more machines to be connected, however you need to setup a server as a switch to redistribute the packages. I haven't done that yet.
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:Well, even if Deadlock III never comes, hopefully OpenDeadlock will eventually become a worthy successor to Deadlock. Welcome back, surchk, it's been a good two or so years.
Thanks for the expectations, there are much more news for OpenDeadlock since this (the quote) was posted, just browse the Creativity Corner.
It seems that Tommo has the rights now, I've no idea if they would want a sequel.

Time Dilation wrote: QUESTION:
do players with different versions of DL2 can play toghether??
Yes. 1.20, 1.00 and GOG are all MP compatible.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor

Post by TimeDilation »

that's great1! i will test your solution

can you explain more in the detail the whole process? thx
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Create two virtual machines using virtual box (or one and then clone it).

Set a static IP address to each one.
I recommend starting from NAT networking mode (Virtual Box VM configuration), use ipconfig to fetch the details and then set it as static configuration.
For example, the default IP address for the first VM is 10.0.1.15 under virtual box (IP setting within the VM, use the guest OS to configure).

It's 10.0.2.15 for the second, and so on.

As long as they have 255.0.0.0 set as netmask it's fine. You just need all IPs to start with 10 and to be unique to each machine.

You can spawn both VMs using a single virtual box, DL2 should be able to connect if you set both VMs to use internal network mode (Virtual Box VM configuration). You can try it first before attempting over the internet.

How to use UDP Tunnel:
Go to the network settings and change the network mode to Generic Driver (Virtual Box VM configuration).
Set the driver's name as: "UDPTunnel" without quotes.
Unhide the advanced settings and write this to the Generic Settings:

dest=<the IP address of the other host running the VM>
sport=<a source UDP port that you have open waiting for frames from any other VM>
dport=<the destination UDP port of the other host running a VM>

This is an example (you need to update the numbers with your actual numbers):
Consider your external IP address is 1.2.3.4 (the external one you can see when browsing http://whatsmyip.org/) and you have port 4444 open for incoming UDP datagrams.
And your friend who would like to play DL2 with you has the external IP address 5.6.7.8 and has port 5555 open for incoming UDP datagrams:

Your VM configuration would be:

dest=5.6.7.8
sport=4444
dport=5555

Your friend's VM network configuration would be:

dest=1.2.3.4
sport=5555
dport=4444

Pay attention to the changes, one's source is the other's destination. The destination address is the other's address.
You can make both use the same port number to avoid confusion, but no one can use the same IP address when playing over the internet.

Reference.

After it's set, DL2 should be able to run using TCP over LAN. When it asks for the destination address, you can leave it blank and hit enter. Since all frames are carried by Virtual Box to every connected VM, they will act like they are in a LAN that supports broadcasting (and thus, being able to search others without the full address).

This also makes possible to play DL2 mp using IPX and DL1 using a protocol that encapsulates NetBIOS (usually and recommended IPX as well, not so usually NetBeui and TCP/IP).
jerago
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by jerago »

Hello I'm new to this forum ! So were you guys able to play DL2 on hamachi ? Or at least online ? I'm looking for online DL2 game...
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

jerago wrote:Hello I'm new to this forum ! So were you guys able to play DL2 on hamachi ? Or at least online ? I'm looking for online DL2 game...
Hello jerago!
jerago wrote:So were you guys able to play DL2 on hamachi ? Or at least online ? .
Yes, using Hamachi. It is still complicated though. Works best with Windows XP or 2000 running under Virtual Box with Hamachi. I hope you are experienced enough with these software tools.
jerago wrote:I'm looking for online DL2 game...
TimeDilation is trying to arrange matches. You have come to the right place.
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor

Post by TimeDilation »

yes, i propose to have a group online, like a facebook page.
this will suffice to gather players with the specific aim of playing online, and display who is online, or new messages asking for games.

i can open it as soon as somebody agrees with it...