Gallius IV - Fifth Anniversary

Deadlock and Gallius IV announcements and news.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Gallius IV - Fifth Anniversary

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Gallius IV marked its fifth anniversary on the 24th of December. To mark the occasion I posted some entries to the blog on the main site at http://www.galliusiv.com. Feel free to respond to this topic in order to give your comments on any of the entries. Posts made in this forum should not need approval now, I had incorrectly set the permissions before. If you run into any issues with the forum or if you wish to use forum features that I may not have enabled, feel free to contact me.

As many of you have probably noticed, Gallius IV has been rather quiet since its height in 2011. Looking over website statistics, Gallius IV had fewer hits this year than it did in 2010, despite the fact that the site was only open for 8 days in that year! The lack of community activity is largely my fault, given that due to other commitments I have neglected my role as community leader and this is why I have decided to ask a few favours of the community at large:
  • I will attempt to organise community games of Deadlock II and possibly Deadlock I (if we can figure out a way to make multiplayer work) if enough interest is shown. Community multiplayer games can be discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=377.
  • Keep the conversation going, try and get involved in any Deadlock related discussion (preferably on this board) you can. If no good discussions are taking place, help us by starting new topics on any Deadlock related subjects you think are interesting.
  • Share any interesting Deadlock II scenarios you create. Some interesting scenarios were posted a while back which did generate some interest and discussion. Deadlock II's map file format has now been decoded: http://sourceforge.net/p/opendeadlock/d ... AP%20File/ (this page may have some errors and omissions that still need to be fixed). With the map file format decoded, its possible to gain much greater control over a world map than the scenario editor will allow, especially since it is now possible to set up the map grid however one wants it. I have been experimenting with creating maps mostly by hand using a hex editor, which has successfully allowed for a map with square territories to be created. This map is attached, feel free to modify and use it in your own scenarios. It was supposed to resemble a Chinese Chess board, don't know if it was entirely successful. I can write a guide about how to best create a custom map with a custom grid setup if anyone is interested.
  • Feel free to share any other ideas you may have for keeping this community alive, I'd love to hear them and help make them happen.

Thanks for sticking with Gallius IV these past five years and hopefully 2016 will be the community's best and most vibrant year yet.
Attachments
ChessBoard.zip
Deadlock II Map - Chess Board
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 1171 times
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Re: Gallius IV - Fifth Anniversary

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Creativity corner seems to be a mix of new scenarios and technical discussions about Deadlock internals. What if we had a dedicated "Fan Missions" forum? No, the activity level doesn't justify it right now. But casual visitors are probably not looking to get creative, and would easily be put off by discussions of the hex format of save games. If they instead spot a "Fan Missions" forum with several missions in it, they might bookmark it and come back later. For ease of new visitors, what do you think of having a separate "Fan Missions" section of the forums?