The Decoding News

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Re: The Decoding News

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

> 55. Militia

Do you have the stats for militia unit? I've always assumed they were the same as for laser squad, and would be curious to know how militia compare to laser squad.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Thanks for your reply. I have not documented these attributes yet.

I have created a ticket for that task and I will reply as soon as that information is available.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Good news: OpenDeadlock Knowledge Gathering got a new version and a new tool.

I really think you should take a look.

Related blog post.

The first Advisor message is at sequence 7819. It seems that they keep the same order for each kind of message, which is very good.

[edit]
New improvements involving the sprite tool and the sprite category game. Now you can see that playing that (not really really fun) game really provides results. If you haven't started yet, this is your chance!
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

With the Help of Ubergeneral Grunt I have released 3 tools under the decoding project.
They are all written for dealing with files used by DL2.

CAM file Extractor
CAM file Encoder
HDX/HDD file Extractor

[edit]
One more tool has been released:
HDX/HDD file Encoder
TimeDilation
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by TimeDilation »

HELLO
im sorry for the absence... but i want to make clear that i'm here available for any artistic work (texture, 3d, photoshop, logo, interface) and for any 'development' (like, designing an interface).
please make sure to also write me an email because i dont check this forum often, because i've lost my DL2 buddies :(
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

MaugTheInfirm wrote:> 55. Militia

Do you have the stats for militia unit? I've always assumed they were the same as for laser squad, and would be curious to know how militia compare to laser squad.
Yeah, good question. I'd like to know that as well.

I don't think they have the same power as the laser squad, the militia is equipped with laser pistols and I assume the laser squad is equipped with laser rifles. But still 1 militia unit represents 100 citizens and I don't have any idea how many soldiers are in this squad.

But for comparison I remember the militia are more than capable of destroying a colonizer without being destroyed in the process, the same usually does not happen with a laser squad, usually it takes down one to three militia units.

But yeah, it's random.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

MaugTheInfirm wrote:> 55. Militia

Sorry for late reply. We have halted the decoding of units because we believe that the information available on Deadlock Guides are enough. Feel free to suggest anything if you think we should continue decoding the units.

Here is an excerpt from the guide file for DL1 that should answer your questions.
Do not make verbatim copies to the Wikis or translation files.
This text is certainly copyrighted.
DL1 Guide wrote: DEFENSIVE UNITS
Militia
Cost to Build: Nothing
Resources Needed: None
Technology Needed: None
Type: Ground Unit
Cost per Turn: Nothing
Attack: 2
Defense: 2
Speed: Very Slow
Firing Rate: 1 round/second
Range: 1 square
Special Abilities: None

All your colonists are armed with small laser pistols. When attackers invade your colony, your colonists do
their best to defend their territory. Militia can be killed like any other unit. Each dead militia unit is one
hundred colonists, so after a battle many colonists may be gone.
DL1 Guide wrote: FACTORY UNITS
Laser Squad
Cost to Build: 35 credits
Resources Needed: 30 labor
Technology Needed: None
Type: Ground Unit
Move Points: 3
Cost per Turn: None
Attack: 2
Defense: 5
Speed: Slow
Firing Rate: 1 round/second
Range: 1 square
Special Abilities: Berserk (Humans); Spy (Uva Mosk); Juggernaut (Tarth)

Laser Squads can be outfitted once you have built a Factory. Factories manufacture laser rifles to arm Laser
Squads. These laser rifles are more powerful than the laser pistol used by militia.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Thanks for grabbing militia and laser squad data, though I hope it wasn't much trouble. Looks like 2 militia (2/2) vs laser squad (2/5) could go either way, with laser squad probably having a greater accuracy.

Two odd things about http://opendeadlock.sourceforge.net/kg/login/ link...
1. When I click the "[login]" button I just wind up on the same screen. My username/password work on the forums - maybe I need a new one for just this area?
2. The login page shows as "Not secure" in my browser because it's not an https link. So each of my attempts to login send my username and password in plain text over the internet.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Hello MaugTheInfirm, thank you very much for trying the KG!

I have just updated it following your questions, to be more specific:
MaugTheInfirm wrote:1. When I click the "[login]" button I just wind up on the same screen. My username/password work on the forums - maybe I need a new one for just this area?
I have added a huge warning there for now. The answer is: you need a new one for this area. I cannot access GalliusIV account system from there. The same applies to the Wiki passwords, they are all different. I recommend changing your forum password now.
MaugTheInfirm wrote:2. The login page shows as "Not secure" in my browser because it's not an https link. So each of my attempts to login send my username and password in plain text over the internet.
I have requested to migrate the page to HTTPS. I hope you like it. Be sure to use hard refresh. (usually ctrl+f5).
https://opendeadlock.sourceforge.io/kg/ should get there as well. (unfortunatelly, sprite category game became slightly slower over https, I guess this cannot be helped :roll: )
I had to update a few links, please report if there are broken links or "non secure" requests warnings.

Warning: KG uses case sensitive Username and Passwords.
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Intesting! Thank you Tggtt. :mrgreen:

Just a correction, Laser Squad has a firing rate of 33 rounds per second. I assume both have 50% accuracy at green level, but Militia can't achieve veteran or elite status since they are not units. I don't know if in Deadlock II is different, but for me Laser Squad has medium speed instead of slow, it might be race specific though.