OpenDeadlock Pre-alpha Announced

See what Deadlock fans are creating, whether it be fan games, art or scenarios.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

OpenDeadlock Pre-alpha Announced

Post by Tggtt »

Hello OpenDeadlock fans (I hope there are)

OpenDeadlock is officially in Pre-alpha state, which means we are going to start recruiting testers for the alpha versions.

Would you like to test OpenDeadlock?

Do you have what it takes to become an alpha tester?

The first point to ponder is that most of our emphasis is to work on the internals of OpenDeadlock, which means the alpha versions would have an incomplete graphics interface and it won't have all features enough to play enjoyable games yet.

But your help can speed up this process to make a stable OpenDeadlock reality.

Thank you!
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Re: OpenDeadlock Pre-alpha Announced

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I'd be willing to help test Open Deadlock. I'm running a Windows 10 (64-bit) system.
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

MaugTheInfirm wrote:I'd be willing to help test Open Deadlock. I'm running a Windows 10 (64-bit) system.
Many thanks, the more OSes the merrier.

However, be aware that I can only provide pre-compiled Windows 32 bit binaries for now. While they should work on Windows 10 64-bit, I am not sure if it could cause trouble. I might contact you to try to run an executable just to check if it loads in order to accept you definitely.

So please check your PM inbox often.

Thanks again.
jerago
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Humans

Post by jerago »

Hello there, I would be glad to test this Open deadlock if it includes multiplayer ! If I'm not mistaken you will make it work for most recents versions of windows, win 8, 10 and such ?
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

jerago wrote:Hello there, I would be glad to test this Open deadlock if it includes multiplayer ! If I'm not mistaken you will make it work for most recents versions of windows, win 8, 10 and such ?
Hello jerago.
Also, yes for every question. These are two of the reasons OpenDeadlock was started: to make it include multiplayer since the beginning and to run on newer operating systems.

However, we have not released an alpha build yet, hence the pre-alpha state.
Thanks for understanding...
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

You'll probably need to have a map editor as part of developing Open Deadlock. I'd be interested in trying out the map editor, if that's eventually part of the release (probably not in pre-alpha, though - but one can hope).
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

Hi MaugTheInfirm,

OpenDeadlock has official support for importing Maps generated by the Map Editor included with Deadlock 2 (1.20 and GoG versions).
This means the Alpha (and other future) versions would allow importing these maps into OpenDeadlock.

We currently have a temporary tool for editing maps that is not user-friendly.
A graphical map editor is not planned yet.
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Converting Deadlock 2 maps is a great feature. Thanks for mentioning it.
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by surchk »

Tggtt wrote:Hello OpenDeadlock fans (I hope there are)

OpenDeadlock is officially in Pre-alpha state, which means we are going to start recruiting testers for the alpha versions.

Would you like to test OpenDeadlock?

Do you have what it takes to become an alpha tester?

The first point to ponder is that most of our emphasis is to work on the internals of OpenDeadlock, which means the alpha versions would have an incomplete graphics interface and it won't have all features enough to play enjoyable games yet.

But your help can speed up this process to make a stable OpenDeadlock reality.

Thank you!
Interested in becoming a tester. Though just being a fan of DL1 and DL2 im not sure what other qualifications you might be looking for. I am however also interested in any updates there might be for OpenDeadlock at least. Do you have another website where you are tracking progress and updates? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Post by Tggtt »

surchk wrote:Interested in becoming a tester. Though just being a fan of DL1 and DL2 im not sure what other qualifications you might be looking for.
Thanks surchk,

Firstly, if someone is asking whether we are working on it, be sure we are.
We are currently rushing to complete the first alpha version.

About the qualifications, we do not have a cohesive list on requirements since there aren't so many testers yet.

We are expecting people able to run applications that are not installed; have enough know-how to describe their Operating System version; able to write about bugs/crashes/defects.

The reason why alpha involves recruiting is because the alpha version will not be really fun, and not good looking either.
The graphics interface is not our current priority.
Importing graphics from original games might not be available for the first alpha release.
AI is probably not going to be available.
We are not sure if there would be multiplayer yet.
This means OpenDeadlock Alpha 1 would only support city building without combat.

Then we need people who are acceptive to ugly interfaces and console messages.

We would also need people who are willing to comply with our requests to test specific features.

This means that we would actively ask the testers to test specific things, so it is not like testers would have freedom to to try every feature.

OpenDeadlock is free software, no one is forbidden to try, everyone is free to report defects.
However, we would prefer reports from testers who comply.

We are going to restrict the available features of the first alpha to restrain testers from trying incomplete portions of OpenDeadlock, even though they would work if you force them, but they would surely lead to crashes.

So please don't try unlocking features yet, just wait for the beta version if you really want more freedom.

Thanks for understanding.

Please take our current survey if you haven't yet.

There are other ways to contribute to OpenDeadlock besides testing, for example, translation and graphics tagging.

We are also going to encourage more people to write on wikis soon.

We also have some other things in mind that we are going to write about within this week.