Community Multiplayer Games - Deadlock 1 or 2?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.

Deadlock: Planetary Conquest
33%
Deadlock II: Shrine Wars
67%

Total votes: 6

Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Putting aside apparent feasibility, including technical limitations: which Deadlock game would you prefer to be played in potential community multiplayer games? Deadlock 2 online seems more feasible since it supports TCP/IP, which is usable with Hamachi. I myself would prefer to play Deadlock 1 online, given I much prefer the original and am much better at it. It may still be possible to play Deadlock 1 online somehow and if enough interest is indicated then options could be explored.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Tggtt
Ancient
Ancient

Re: Community Multiplayer Games - Deadlock 1 or 2?

Post by Tggtt »

I hope I am not being mean but... my wish is that the community grows enough to make all Deadlock games to be played often!

MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

Since I don't play multi-player, I'll provide a tie vote in that Deadlock 1 is playable on Windows 10 while Deadlock 2 is not. The video issues with Deadlock 2 make it unplayable for me. Were those issues fixed, the ability to create custom scenarios would be in it's favor.

EDIT: A programmer working on ddraw.dll upgraded to Windows 10 and diagnosed the problem with Deadlock 2! I've tried his fix, and it eliminates blank screens and mouse smearing. So if I played multi-player, my vote would have switched to Deadlock 2.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

I would say Deadlock I, I never liked Deadlock II, I played the demo a few times, it seemed very clunky compared to the original.
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Post by surchk »

sdu754 wrote:I would say Deadlock I, I never liked Deadlock II, I played the demo a few times, it seemed very clunky compared to the original.
I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Deadlock I seems more "reliable", that's the best way I can put it. It scales really well as far as resolution goes so I enjoy playing Deadlock I on a desktop PC, but I do enjoy the "facelift" Deadlock 2 received and I enjoy playing that the most and it looks so great on a 12.1" Lenovo X201T tablet laptop, especially since the pen function works so well with it. Plus I have Windows XP loaded on that laptop so its less buggy and glitchy and does not crash as often when I have played it on more modern OS's. I have not messed too much with the GOG versions of the game since I have my original CD's, but I have purchased them on GOG just recently when they went on sale.

Anyway, Deadlock II gets my vote. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MaugTheInfirm
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Maug

Post by MaugTheInfirm »

I hated Deadlock II for years. The pop-up windows instead of moving colonists around was too jarring. I liked how in Deadlock you were always on the main screen (zoomed or not). So I avoided Deadlock II for a very long time... then I learned it has scenarios. Having invented all kinds of self-imposed restrictions to make the computer enemy competitive, I had to try those scenarios.. and that's what converted me to liking Deadlock II. There's maps with crazy levels of energy production, maps where shrines play a vital role, and all told many varieties of play that I hadn't seen before then. So it added a lot of hours to my play time, and made me accept Deadlock II's interface in exchange for what I got out of it.