Steam Deck Compatibility

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Tarth

Steam Deck Compatibility

Post by zombipuppy »

Hi there!

Has anyone gotten Deadlock (1 or 2) to function on their Steam Deck? I'm able to launch the game, but as soon as the intro videos are done, I only get a black screen. I've tried a few Proton builds and other distros but no dice. I've also tried running it through Heroic, both in desktop mode and SteamOS big picture mode.

I know this is a very niche ask, but curious if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!
MildewMan1
Colonist
Colonist

Re: Steam Deck Compatibility

Post by MildewMan1 »

Hi zombipuppy!

Both Deadlock games use Windows APIs, and the steam deck runs a Linux based operating system.

The only thing that I can think of would be to see if there is a Windows/Windows program emulator that is available. For Deadlock 2, the emulator would also need to handle direct draw, direct sound, and direct play calls.
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by zombipuppy »

Good call! I will see if I can get a Windows dual boot going. Thanks!
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Deadlock II works okay under WINE if you use version 1.0 that came with the original retail CD, later versions have the issue you mentioned.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
zombipuppy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by zombipuppy »

Just wanted to post a quick update. I got Deadlock 1 to run after deleting WAIL32.dll under Proton, but there's some quirks I still need to iron out. It is asking for the CD, so I'm limited to the demo game, and there is also no sounds aside from character video quips.

I'll keep plugging away. Can't seem to get WINE to work well with it, particularly getting it to run in Win95 compatibility mode which should fix the audio issues.
MildewMan1
Colonist
Colonist

Post by MildewMan1 »

zombipuppy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:05 amIt is asking for the CD, so I'm limited to the demo game, and there is also no sounds aside from character video quips.
I don't have a steam deck, so I don't know if this will work or not... If you have the original CD and a CD rom, you could make an ISO copy of the disc and then you could mount it as a CD rom if it will let you.