Why did you start playing DL?

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
Uva_Mosk
Hatchling
Hatchling

Why did you start playing DL?

Post by Uva_Mosk »

Hello! i'm new here and i¿m very happy to know there are more DL fans around the globe :mrgreen: I am asking this because DL is not a a too common game and I want you to share your story :D
I found this game with my cousins in my grand mother house many years ago! I remember we played many computer games one day, we got bored, and dicided to check if there was something interesting inseide the drawers! We found wierd stuff... specially wierd games, i can tell.... However there was this black cd.. DEADLOCK... We checked the races, and we thought the Uva Mosk were so odd but so funny at the same time, and Cyth were soo dark lol... Good memories, I had no idea how to play we lost very fast every single game we played ( it happens we youa re just a little kid :D). I was the most enthousiastic about it... I played it every time i went to their house... my cousins got bored after a few months ... The funny thing is that my grand parents didnt even know about the existance of that game... It seems it appeard from nowhere :P they gave game it to me one day... years ago.... Now i cant find my cd anymore! I think i left it in my parent's house but who knows :P
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Humans

Re: Why did you start playing DL?

Post by SonOfDon »

Uva_Mosk wrote:Hello! i'm new here and i¿m very happy to know there are more DL fans around the globe :mrgreen: I am asking this because DL is not a a too common game and I want you to share your story :D
...Now i cant find my cd anymore! I think i left it in my parent's house but who knows :P
Okay, I'll chime in here. This is a cut and paste of my post under another thread: I first encountered it when I'd visit my colleague in his office over lunch and find him playing the trial version, which of course was limited to 40(?)? turns. He wouldn't purchase the full game as he'd not get any work done if he had! (We ran at lunch time usually. We had a 5 kilometre course that took us about 20 minutes, although he could do it in 15 and so he could sneak a quick run of the trial version in too sometimes!)

Bought the Mac version once it became available but have to drag an old system out if it is to be played these days.
Where are we on the curve, we'll know once it goes asymptotic (hopefully).
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

SonOfDon wrote:We ran at lunch time usually. We had a 5 kilometre course that took us about 20 minutes, although he could do it in 15 and so he could sneak a quick run of the trial version in too sometimes!
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist

Post by SonOfDon »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:
SonOfDon wrote:We ran at lunch time usually. We had a 5 kilometre course that took us about 20 minutes, although he could do it in 15 and so he could sneak a quick run of the trial version in too sometimes!
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Such profound thoughts from one so young - I got the thread off topic, you doubly so! :lol:
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Okay, it's about time I answered! :D

SonOfDon first showed me the game in about 2000/01. He then installed the demo on my Performa 6400/180 (that's a Mac, by the way), which was followed by me playing it to death. The demo is still highly engrossing, despite it's limitations. I got the full version for Mac on the 26th of July, 2001.
Douglas Adams wrote:Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Douglas Adams, the man who wrote this piece of wisdom, died only two months earlier (May 2001).
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Ancients

Post by Darsnan »

I remember playing Empire Deluxe (a TBS Planetary Conquest game) back in the early '90s, then moving on to Star Legions (RTS Planetary Conquest game): both games thoroughly engrossed me, and I completely loved the concept of conquering various worlds. Then the wife and I had two kids in quick succession which completely took the wind out of my sails in regards to any concept of free time.

A couple years later (early '96) I visited the local computer gaming store and saw DL on the shelf. I opened the front cover, looked it over, and was like, "Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for!". I only had time to play for about 3-6 hours a week at the time, but I was thoroughly hooked. I don't think Atari realizes what a goldmine they are sitting on here, as in today's gaming market they could pretty much just re-package the game and sell it as-is and I think it'd do very well! :b:

D
You'll be back...... I guarrantee it!
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Tomgrakk »

I was introduced to Deadlock like I was introduced to most games; by my brothers. I don't know how they learnt about it, but I gravitated to it almost immediately. I have no idea why, but the graphics with the full motion video and animation coupled with the intricate and detailed colony management system blew my mind back in the day, moreso than most games would today. I suppose they just don't make them like they used to.

- Tomgrakk
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist

Post by SonOfDon »

Tomgrakk wrote:I was introduced to Deadlock like I was introduced to most games; by my brothers. I don't know how they learnt about it, but I gravitated to it almost immediately. I have no idea why, but the graphics with the full motion video and animation coupled with the intricate and detailed colony management system blew my mind back in the day, moreso than most games would today. I suppose they just don't make them like they used to.

- Tomgrakk
We can all identify with your sentiments! DL has got to make a comeback (preferably on the iPad!) ;)
Hernovich
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Hernovich »

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I figured, what better way to introduce myself than to just start about how I got introduced to the game?

It was back in I think 1999 or 1998 I got into the game. I was living in Florida at the time and a friend of mine used to play it. I instantly got hooked on it. Ever since then I randomly install it and spend a week playing and relearning everything.

It is absolutely awesome that this website/forum exists. Hopefully, one day, there will be a Deadlock 3 with a modernized engine to play. I always felt the storyline could be more developed and the races could be more three dimensional given the right amount of time and money.
SonOfDon
Colonist
Colonist

Post by SonOfDon »

Hernovich wrote:Hi, I'm new on this forum. I figured, what better way to introduce myself than to just start about how I got introduced to the game?

It was back in I think 1999 or 1998 I got into the game. I was living in Florida at the time and a friend of mine used to play it. I instantly got hooked on it. Ever since then I randomly install it and spend a week playing and relearning everything.

It is absolutely awesome that this website/forum exists. Hopefully, one day, there will be a Deadlock 3 with a modernized engine to play. I always felt the storyline could be more developed and the races could be more three dimensional given the right amount of time and money.
Welcome to the site. I think that we all share in your sentiments and also hope for the eventual re-release of Deadlock. It is a very, very clever game and very entertaining. Your experience sounds quite familiar. I worked with a guy who would play the demo over lunch. We didn't get too far through the game, which was just as well, as his lunch break was about the same length of time that the demo provided. Eventually, Deadlock became available on the Mac and my children and I had great times together with it. (We also had 'games night' once a week which was great fun but that was separate!)