Ideas !

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
General9913
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Maug

Ideas !

Post by General9913 »

Hey there.

Hello, I found the link to this forum from wikipedia. I'll tell ya that when I see the link to this forum, I think this place would be deserted. Two games from '96 and '99, wow. But hey, look what I found here, a forum created last year, more than 40 players and the developers of tis game ! And even comics !

I heard you guys speaking about a sequel. I don't think so they will release one for windows of mac, perhaps at facebook, who knows ! But what you guys think about some simple alterations on both D1 nd D2? I've seen that the game Thief 1 or 2, they altered the colors from 8 bits to 32 bits. Both Deadlocks are 256 color, no? Also what bout using a higher resolution? People at nma forum, Fallout 2 game (an old one from '98, but a great game) did it. Not to mention, that if we found where the textures and models of the game are, we could bump their resolution. I've seen this happening with an other old game as well, Unreal, awesome game. I don't how it can be done exactly, but I believe it can be achieved.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Ideas !

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Yes, both games run at 256 colours. I personally think Deadlock I holds up pretty well, since Deadlock was designed to run at higher resolutions initially. The Windows version looks beautiful at 1920x1080 (apart from the Windows interface), any higher and it crashes, though. Even though Deadlock I runs in 256 colours, I don't think it would look any better in 32-bit, since the graphics were so well dithered (mixing of a small amount of colours to make it look like there are more).

Deadlock II is another case, since it ran only at 640x480 (i'd like to know the logic behind that!). All that should be done is an integration of Deadlock II's new features into Deadlock I, then the game would be perfect.

I personally believe that if something is done well, it will always stand the test of time. DL1 is a primary example of this, all that is needed is a port to modern OSes.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Interesting. I didn't know Deadlock could run at higher resolutions. Its been a while that I don't play Deadlock 1, even though I played more this one than the second one. Still, do you think we can alter Deadlock 2 settings to look like Deadlock 1? Resolution stuff only.

I hope I posted this topic at the right place. Hehe I though to post this at the introducion thread. But I didn't want to type all this stuff there.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deadlock II's interface is design and coded for 640x480 only, at higher resolutions all you can expect is a big black border around a small window. The only way it would be possible to get Deadlock II running at anything other than 640x480 properly is to edit the source code, which no one seems to have.
Grand Cherokee wrote:I hope I posted this topic at the right place. Hehe I though to post this at the introducion thread. But I didn't want to type all this stuff there.
Yes, you posted the topic in the right place. Even if you didn't, moving it is not a big deal.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Ohh well...

I wonder why they did tis as well...

So, there is no way we could bump things up at Deadlock 2?
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apart from upscaling, there is absolutely no way.
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Okay.

I gonna talk to people at nma forum, fallout 2 modders, and see if there is somenthing to do.

Thanks for clarifying this.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grand Cherokee wrote:Thanks for clarifying this.
You're very welcome. :)
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

I've leaved a message here, page #31: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42386

In case if I don't acess in a short time and if you want to see if theres is somenthing we could do.

Also, Fallout 2 is a great old game. If you want to play it, be sure to download the unofficial patch or the restoration project. The latter is the unofficial patch and features intended to be on the final game but were cut or partially implemented, due to release time.

EDIT: Forgot to say that my name there is the same as here.

Thanks for your time !
General9913
Colonist
Colonist

Post by General9913 »

Hello there.

I've talked with Mash. You can see the conversation here(scroll down until you see the user Grand Cherokee there): http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... 16d1c0f57c

I'll tell you that I don't understand much about software as hardware, but do you think it would be good idea to output Deadlock 2 color depth from 256 colors to 32 bits? Or upscale its resolution? I don't know if the latter option would render great results. But, is it worth a try?