OS's supporting DL

Ask here for technical assistance with installing, running, etc. Forum related issues should be reported here, too.
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling
Favourite Race: Ancients

OS's supporting DL

Post by Darsnan »

Over the years I've had DL running on the following PC Operating Systems:

Win 95
Win NT
Vista

However I just tried to install DL onto a new Windows 7 machine, and I get an error message saying that the setup executable isn't recognized by the system. Has anyone had any similar issues or experiences with Windows 7, and are there any solutions to this?

D
You'll be back...... I guarrantee it!
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: OS's supporting DL

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

I tried getting around the installer by installing the game somewhere else. The game crashes on startup, even with the patch. It looks like XP Mode or some other emulator is the only solution.

Deadlock will also run on these versions of Mac OS:

System 7.1-Mac OS 9.2.2 (Including the Classic Environment in Mac OS X) on a 68040 or PowerPC processor.

Have you ever been able to get the music working in XP or Higher? Is Deadlock stable on Vista?

I wouldn't use any version of Deadlock other than 1.31 (or 1.30 for non-English versions). 1.20 doesn't work well at all.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Darsnan »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:
Have you ever been able to get the music working in XP or Higher? Is Deadlock stable on Vista?
Vista is stable for me on two seperate machines: the music works in the opening movie, but I don't recall it playing in-game. The AI's voices (taunts, comments, etc.) do work fine.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know with versions of Windows that have issues with the music, also have issues with the dialog in the German and French versions, the voices don't work. It might be caused by the same issue that causes all other in-game sound (Buildings, Weapons Firing) to not work, as they are all Waves.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember I had an issue on XP. The game simply wouldn't end. If I won, the game would continue, even if it was just me left. Once I got up to 40+ city centres! If the game was lost, an end of turn event log would appear telling me nothing was going on. Clicking any of the buttons would bring up an event log for the next turn, still nothing. I simply don't understand how this happened.
Darsnan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Darsnan »

Finally got DL2 today. Had no problems installing onto one of my Vista machines, to include the patch.

The NT machine was another story. Got the following error message after the install shield ran:
%s requires Microsoft Directx to be installed on your PC. However, your Windows NT 4.0 operating......

X Deadlock II
Note that there is no text after the ........ in the error pop-up window. Also the X is the typical red circle with the X in the middle. I do believe this error has to do with the machine itself, as at start-up I am getting a pop-up stating that there is a driver missing, so that's probably related to the problem. I ended up copying everything en masse from disk to the hard drive, and this got the game up and running. However when I tried to install the patch I got an error message saying DL2 couldn't be found, so that looks like a registry problem there and right now I don't know how to get around that one.

D
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got VMware Fusion the other day, installed Vista and tried Deadlock. With Windows 95/98/ME compatibility mode the music works, but also causes the file name box in the save dialog to not draw. The save dialog box works fine with compatibility mode turned off. However, the game crashed whenever I tried to zoom into the settlement view.