The Deadlock 1 music

General discussion, queries, etc. about Deadlock and Deadlock II.
Ànman
Hatchling
Hatchling

The Deadlock 1 music

Post by Ànman »

Is the menu themes on file by chance?
YOU'RE A 255 CHARACTER LIMIT!
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: The Deadlock 1 music

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

Chip wasn't able to find the menu themes as of yet. I'll try and put up the themes included with the game itself, the menu themes included with the Windows version of the game were of pretty decent quality anyway.

If you want to get them yourself, you can either:

With the Mac version:
Copy the files named "Title" 1-4 from the "Musich" folder on the CD and add .aif to the end as an extension.

With the Windows version:
Use the Import RAW option in Audacity with TITLE1.RAW in the MUSIC folder on the CD. Change the sample rate to 22050Hz, the other basic import settings should work. Once the file is imported, save the theme as whatever you like. Do this for the other 3 themes.

Audacity can be found here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Ànman
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Ànman »

Already have audacity. (: I just never bothered to look, as I figured if there was better quality files out there, might as well start there.
YOU'RE A 255 CHARACTER LIMIT!
Belix
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Belix »

Ubergeneral, does that mean the Mac version had high quality copies of the rest of the game music? In the Windows version everything except the title tracks are only 11,025 kHz Mono, as opposed to the nice quality of 22,050 kHz Stereo of the title tracks.

If the Mac version had the other audio tracks at equal quality with the title tracks, I'd be delighted if you could share them with us. In particular I'd like to hear the Human, Tarth, Uva Mosk and Combat music in high quality for a change.

I had the idea of putting any higher quality tracks into the Win version of Deadlock if possible, but I already tested this and the game unfortunately seems to expect them in their current formats, so it doesn't seem that they could simply be swapped in.

Did the sound effects come in a different quality with the Mac version? They are all also 11,025 kHz Mono in the Win release, and likewise the game wants to play them at the expected format even if a higher quality sound is put in. Still, it'd be neat to hear what the Anti-Matter Defense and Holocaust Cannon were really meant to sound like.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

All the music in the Mac version is 22050Hz, 16-Bit Mono (the title music in the Windows version is 22050Hz, 8-Bit Stereo).

The Mac version actually includes two sets of music, one set is 22050Hz, 8-Bit Mono, for 68040 Macs and another set for Macs with PowerPC processors, which is the same, but 16-bit. I can't speak for 68040 processors, but on 68LC040 processors (an 040 with no FPU), Deadlock runs too slow unless music and dialog is turned off and the graphics quality is turned right down, so unless music works fine on a 40MHz 68040 (the fastest 68040 used on Macs), I don't see why they included music specifically for 68k Macs instead of having one set and therefore having enough disk space to include the music in stereo.

The higher quality music from the Mac version has been uploaded here, in AIFF format: http://www.galliusiv.com/Gallius_IV/Dow ... 1Music.zip

These are the original music files included with the Mac version, unconverted.

As far as sound files go, there are also two sets (one for 68k, one for PowerPC) in the Mac version. However, I have only been able to extract the lower quality versions, since the high quality versions are stored in a format which I haven't been able to open or convert (they sound very good in game). The lower quality sounds use a very common Macintosh sound format (I converted them to WAVE). http://www.galliusiv.com/Gallius_IV/Dow ... Sounds.zip

Hopefully this is still a step-up from the original Windows version's sounds.

I tried converting the Mac version's music for use in the Windows version, too. The problem is that the RAW sound format, which is what the Windows version uses for music, as far as I can tell, doesn't have any information stored that says what frequency, bit rate, etc. that the file should be played at, it's up to the program playing it to determine that. This means the Windows version slows down the Mac version's music. The Mac version will play any AIFF file properly. I was able to get Deadlock II's music working in Deadlock I for Windows and also the Mac version.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried the sounds I extracted from the Mac version in the Windows version, there is a noticeable jump in quality, just listen to the birds!

Just copy the sounds in the archive into the WAV directory in Deadlock's folder. You should probably back up your old sound files first.

I could upload the higher quality sound effects in their original format (SNDI, extracted from the resource fork of the "Deadlock Sounds" file), if someone wants to try to figure out what it is.

I wish we could somehow change what specifications it expects for each of the RAW music files, so we could play the Mac version's music at 22KHz, instead of it been slowed down by 50% to 11KHz.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to Wikipedia's page on the RAW audio format:
Wikipedia wrote:As there is no header, compatible audio players require information from the user that would normally be stored in a header, such as the encoding, sample rate, number of bits used per sample, and the number of channels.
So as I thought, higher quality music in Deadlock won't be possible without modifying the executable. Hopefully something will be possible without having to modify the source code.
Belix
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Belix »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:These are the original music files included with the Mac version, unconverted.
Thank you. These were nice to listen to, especially the Uva Mosk music which I think took a relatively severe hit at the low quality level it saw in the Windows release. I'm not familiar enough with halfish of the other races to appreciate the difference, as I sadly didn't play them until later in the Windows XP days when the music stopped working.
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:Hopefully this is still a step-up from the original Windows version's sounds.
Actually something seems amiss here... the wavs in the sound file seem sort of choppy or distorted, and weigh in at an unusual bitrate of 11,127 kHz. Is there maybe an issue with the archive or the method you used to convert them? They sound identical in two different audio players. Could you check into it? That bitrate doesn't seem right, and you said the birds sounded better, so something doesn't add up.
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:I could upload the higher quality sound effects in their original format (SNDI, extracted from the resource fork of the "Deadlock Sounds" file), if someone wants to try to figure out what it is.
I'd like to try. Even if you only toss up a few files for experimentation first (a couple familiar sounds like tank ricochet, laser fire, turbo wing attack etc.) -- though I doubt I'll have much more luck than you did. If not, perhaps someone else will come across it and figure it out. Worth a shot.
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:I wish we could somehow change what specifications it expects for each of the RAW music files, so we could play the Mac version's music at 22KHz, instead of it been slowed down by 50% to 11KHz.
As do I. I did a little experimentation but my knowledge in this area is fairly limited. I hex edited Deadlock.exe to read the high quality music I just downloaded here as 16-bit mono 22050 WAV files, changing the pointers in the program from .RAW to .WAV, hoping it might check the WAV header information and play them accordingly, but it unfortunately was indifferent to the file change and tried to process it as RAW audio still, which made a rather dreadful racket... haha.

When I was hex editing the file names I was looking at all the little numbers next to them and didn't see any adjacent data that might be telling the game how to read the file. I might check back a few more times trying to pinpoint where it is being told about the file quality, but I'm not sure where to look. There seems to be some related entries of some kind in the hex data just prior to all the wav and raw files which may be of possible relevancy, but after staring at it for some time I failed to see a break in the pattern that would correspond to the position of the 4 title music pieces which play at the higher rate.

Only thought I had is that the only place in the game 22,050 kHZ audio plays is the main menu, and both sound and music in the game is all 11,025 kHZ, so there may be only two or three places in the code that game is told this information, like a global audio quality switch instead of per-file information. e.g. In main menu use 22,050 kHZ, in game use 11,025 kHz for all audio (one for music, one for sound). If that is the case it will be much more difficult for someone like me to spot looking at mere hexadecimal values.

Of course, getting high quality sound and music working in a game that has problems playing audio is sort of like using the hammer before getting a nail ready... :lol:

I did notice some lines pertinent to WAIL32.DLL functions also, but I saw nothing in the adjacent areas that looked like possible configuration/playback settings. I DID however find a full, readable list of all of Deadlock's terrain names (Forests, Mountains, Swamps, Oceans and Plains, in that order) I could post if anyone ever wondered what all the names are. There are certainly a few amusing ones!

Thanks for the other information and tidbits, it was interesting.