Suggestions for another TBS?

Off-Topic. Remember to follow forum rules.
surchk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Uva Mosk

Suggestions for another TBS?

Post by surchk »

As the subject suggests, im looking for another Turn-Based-Strategy game to play!

I did a bit of googleing and I have found a few interesting games. If you guys know of any other TBS with similar game-play to Deadlock give me a shout. Im very much into the sci-fi tbs's so anything with a DL flavor would be awesome.
Ubergeneral Grunt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favourite Race: Tarth

Re: Suggestions for another TBS?

Post by Ubergeneral Grunt »

In terms of Science Fiction TBS games, I know of these:

The Master of Orion Series: Instead of dealing with one planet, you have to manage an interstellar empire. You start of with one planet or a planet and ship, depending on what you choose at the beginning. From there, you expand to other stars and meet other races. To win you can conquer everyone else or become the head of the galactic counsel. In MOO2 you also have the option of going to another universe to destroy a genocidal race. There is also a star system called Orion in every game, where an ancient civilisation once lived. The system is guarded by a powerful ship called the Guardian, which can only be defeated by a huge fleet of highly advanced ships. Master of Orion II is my favourite, I actually got it with Deadlock in the Mac Strategy Pack. MOO2 runs under Mac OS 9, Windows or DOS. Number 1 and 2 are available together on GOG.com.

Ascendancy: Interestingly enough, it should be coming out for the iPhone and iPad soon. It's a lot like Master of Orion, but includes a 3d Galaxy and Star System view. The planetary screen also looks a lot like Deadlock. I haven't played this game very extensively, but i'll play it more when it comes out for the iPad. It's only available for DOS currently, so it would be a DOSBox job.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Civilization in a Sci-Fi setting, involves the colonisation of Alpha Centauri. There are no playable aliens in the base game, just multiple groups of Humans, but two are added in the expansion, Alien Crossfire. DL3: Manifolds Destiny is a mod of this.

Outpost: Looks a lot like Deadlock in its view of the planet. Very buggy and incomplete. Involves the colonisation of extrasolar planets after the destruction of Earth. I don't think there are any aliens and enemies, but I haven't played that much of it. Available for Windows and Mac.

Thats all that come to mind, right now. If I think of any more, i'll mention them here.
Tarth cooks make best strudel, barbecue, bean dip, fish, cat food, smelt, piston rings, tofu and cam shafts...
surchk
Colonist
Colonist

Post by surchk »

Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:In terms of Science Fiction TBS games, I know of these:

The Master of Orion Series: Instead of dealing with one planet, you have to manage an interstellar empire. You start of with one planet or a planet and ship, depending on what you choose at the beginning. From there, you expand to other stars and meet other races. To win you can conquer everyone else or become the head of the galactic counsel. In MOO2 you also have the option of going to another universe to destroy a genocidal race. There is also a star system called Orion in every game, where an ancient civilisation once lived. The system is guarded by a powerful ship called the Guardian, which can only be defeated by a huge fleet of highly advanced ships. Master of Orion II is my favourite, I actually got it with Deadlock in the Mac Strategy Pack. MOO2 runs under Mac OS 9, Windows or DOS. Number 1 and 2 are available together on GOG.com.

Ascendancy: Interestingly enough, it should be coming out for the iPhone and iPad soon. It's a lot like Master of Orion, but includes a 3d Galaxy and Star System view. The planetary screen also looks a lot like Deadlock. I haven't played this game very extensively, but i'll play it more when it comes out for the iPad. It's only available for DOS currently, so it would be a DOSBox job.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Civilization in a Sci-Fi setting, involves the colonisation of Alpha Centauri. There are no playable aliens in the base game, just multiple groups of Humans, but two are added in the expansion, Alien Crossfire. This is what DL3: Manifolds Destiny is a mod of.

Outpost: Looks a lot like Deadlock in it's view of the planet. Very buggy and incomplete. Involves the colonisation of extrasolar planets after the destruction of Earth. I don't think there are any aliens and enemies, but I haven't played that much of it. Available for Windows and Mac.

Thats all that come to mind, right now. If I think of any more, i'll mention them here.

Thank you for the suggestions, will definitely check them out.
Tomgrakk
Colonist
Colonist
Favourite Race: Cyth

Post by Tomgrakk »

I can also recommend Alpha Centauri. Loads of fun with that game, but it's a good bit more complicated and can be more frustrating and confusing than Deadlock, but once you get the hang of it, it's great.
Apart from sci-fi, I can also recommend the Heroes of Might & Magic series. The third game is probably the best on of the lot.

- Tomgrakk
drunkennewbie
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by drunkennewbie »

Old Post I know but still...
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote:In terms of Science Fiction TBS games, I know of these:

MOO was awesome, Another one of my favorites. Gets kind of boring after awhile though because you will just sit and hit end turn after awhile waiting for something. and I mean like 20 turns. Other then that it is a great game. MOO3 was released back in 03. It is open source if I am corrected....
Ubergeneral Grunt wrote: Outpost: Looks a lot like Deadlock in it's view of the planet. Very buggy and incomplete. Involves the colonisation of extrasolar planets after the destruction of Earth. I don't think there are any aliens and enemies, but I haven't played that much of it. Available for Windows and Mac.
Another fun game the biggest threat in the game honestly was the planet you were on. You RARELY had aliens or enimes and if you did it was normally such a small attack. The hardest part was trying to control the lava and such. It isn't so much a Turn based but more of a RTS.
sdu754
Advisor
Advisor
Favourite Race: Re'Lu

Post by sdu754 »

I can recomend Galactic Civilizations II as a good turn based strategy game. It actually has a decent AI at the higher levels.